Recommend me a Vacuum tester

To assist in tracking down my misfire I think it's time to add a vacuum tester to my toolbox. Looking on Amazon most seem to be combined with a hand pump for brake bleeding, that would probably be a useful addition but I'm not sure if they display the level of vacuum exerted by an external source.

What's everyone using? 

Thanks

Sean

I have used a MityVac hand pump for years.   For both applying a vacuum to test leaks and capsule operation and as a brake bleeder.

The tool has a dial with a vacuum scale on it.

image.jpeg.ef1278f43718819ffb3829597519f5a3.jpeg

https://cartoolstore.co.uk/manufacturers/mityvac/mityvac-mv8000-automotive-tune-up-and-brake-bleeding-kit-mv8000

Just get a regular vacuum gauge, like this one (this is an Australian supplier, but they're pretty generic). There are also more sensitive ones, but I assume you only need to measure around the 10"Hg range. I have a 0-100kPa and a 0-15kPa connected in parallel for my PI calibration rig.

If you need to generate a vacuum it's very simple if you have a compressor - just connect the airline to a vacuum generator (a venturi with an adjustable flow rate). No need to pump, and the vacuum stays nice and stable. Ish.

John C

Edited by JohnC
44 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Just get a regular vacuum gauge, like this one (this is an Australian supplier, but they're pretty generic). There are also more sensitive ones, but I assume you only need to measure around the 10"Hg range. I have a 0-100kPa and a 0-15kPa connected in parallel for my PI calibration rig.

If you need to generate a vacuum it's very simple if you have a compressor - just connect the airline to a vacuum generator (a venturi with an adjustable flow rate). No need to pump, and the vacuum stays nice and stable. Ish.

John C

+1. Note I've never had much time for vacuum brake bleeders- unless you are really careful they will suck air in around the bleed nipple.

23 hours ago, Mike C said:

+1. Note I've never had much time for vacuum brake bleeders- unless you are really careful they will suck air in around the bleed nipple.

17 hours ago, Macleesh said:

Good idea re the compressor, forgot I have that capability, although I don't use it for brake bleeding, I prefer my Eezibleed.

Agreed. I love my Ezibleed. I use the compressor/vacuum generator when calibrating the PI.