Need help with engine displacement

My father and I are starting to restore his 62 tr3 but he can't remember what the displacement is

The engine number is ts80366e

And if it helps the commission number/vin is ts80211L

Any help would be greatly appreciated, also I do fully understand that the sleeves and pistons don't require ton of work to swap out 

At those engine numbers very likely to be 2138cc fitted with 86mm pistons and liners, but without the head off you can't tell. Back in the day there were still some fitted with the 83mm smaller pistons if required.

Mick Richards

Thank you for the information were going to order a build sheet eventually, my dad loved this car when he was younger. And luckily with all the kids he had he managed to keep it.

Unfortunately the body is in terrible shape due to his step mother's mental disorder. We've already sourced the interior and exterior minus glass. We have had it running a handful of times it seems to be a fueling issue. Hes told me the fueling rate of the pump is different with the 83 to 86 pistons. I wouldnt think it would have much of a difference. I personally as a certified ase master know very little about the tr3s.

With his blessing after he gets to drive it stock, im going to fully rebuild the engine, he mentioned something about a sleeve and piston kit that's safe to run regular unleaded gas without additive, sorry for the off topic information im just excites to get away from working on subarus.

32 minutes ago, S t e p h e n said:

Thank you for the information were going to order a build sheet eventually, my dad loved this car when he was younger. And luckily with all the kids he had he managed to keep it.

Unfortunately the body is in terrible shape due to his step mother's mental disorder. We've already sourced the interior and exterior minus glass. We have had it running a handful of times it seems to be a fueling issue. Hes told me the fueling rate of the pump is different with the 83 to 86 pistons. I wouldnt think it would have much of a difference. I personally as a certified ase master know very little about the tr3s.

With his blessing after he gets to drive it stock, im going to fully rebuild the engine, he mentioned something about a sleeve and piston kit that's safe to run regular unleaded gas without additive, sorry for the off topic information im just excites to get away from working on subarus.

The fuel pump is the same for all the TR engines TR2-4A. Pumps are interchangeable.

The build sheet might tell you the displacement at build but from my experience the vast majority have been changed over the years. If your dad owned it from new he will know if it has been modified but otherwise you need to take the head off to measure the bores.

Unless you really want to know the displacement best to leave it alone. The displacement won't impact on anything else you do to the car.

47 minutes ago, S t e p h e n said:

he mentioned something about a sleeve and piston kit that's safe to run regular unleaded gas without additive,

They all are. The standard four pot engine doesn't need any additive.  The only things which might be unhappy with unleaded fuel are the exhaust valve seats but only if you run the engine at high speed most of the time as in competition.  Road cars don't seem to mind but if you are going to strip the engine anyway it would be as well to fit hardened seats for the exhaust valves. 

3 hours ago, S t e p h e n said:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, also I do fully understand that the sleeves and pistons don't require ton of work to swap out 

Partly true  but still not a trivial job. The old liners (sleeves) can be a pig to get out, the "shelf" in the block that they sit on top of can be corroded, requiring some machining to restore, when inserting the new liners great care must be taken to get the top of them at the correct height above the block top surface. All doable, but a beginner would do well to have assistance from someone who has done it before.

Bob

On 7/6/2023 at 7:38 AM, S t e p h e n said:

My father and I are starting to restore his 62 tr3 but he can't remember what the displacement is

The engine number is ts80366e

And if it helps the commission number/vin is ts80211L

The last TR3a produced was TS82346 and the "Standard" engine was 1991cc, though the 86mm 2138cc was an option for later cars. The 2138 did not become standard fit until the later series of TR3b were made for North America, all LHD and with TCF commission no`s.

If your dad`s car is original it would have been 1991cc, unless ordered with the 2138 or subsequently upgraded.

Ralph