Speedo cable and sidelights

Continuing the restoration of my TR2, could anyone confirm the route of the Speedo cable please - from gearbox to dashboard? Also, are the wires from the sidelights supported or protected in anyway in the front wheel arches?

As ever, any advice gratefully received.

Ian

Speedo cable route varies according to whether you have overdrive or not.

with O/D the cable comes directly out of the box, angled downwards, through a complicated rubber cover, which also covers the handbrake base, then loops forward along the chassis, then up the engine side of the bulkhead, & then rearwards through the bulkhead onto the speedo.

For non overdrive, the fitting is on the other side. & I am not clear on the route it takes.

Regarding sidelight wiring, there should be small steel tangs welded to the inner wings which support the wires, ( & also the horn / indicator wiring on the drivers side).

Bob

Steel strips pop riveted instead ?

Speedo cable definitely does not go under the carpet whether O/D fitted or not !

Bob

Edited by Lebro

My 3A is a left hooker (it wasn’t always so!) and I found the 96” cable, supposed to be fitted with the OD was excessively long and so I replaced it with the 84” version which I have inside under the carpet.

james

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Steel strips pop riveted instead ?

Speedo cable definitely does not go under the carpet whether O/D fitted or not !

Bob

It does when you are rallying Bob…….. (never ever thought I would ‘correct’ you?! B)

Each tang should be shrouded with small piece of PVC (cut pieces from a thin-wall tube) so as to protect the wire(s).

Ian Cornish