Restricted access solution

I would imagine you would need to rout out the wood dash to accommodate the extra height.

Stuart.

42 minutes ago, stuart said:

I would imagine you would need to rout out the wood dash to accommodate the extra height.

Stuart.

Looking at the development pics it does seem as though there's a small element of dash routing. Luckily I'm not amongst the chubby thighed brigade and therefore clearance isn't an issue for me.

7 minutes ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Looking at the development pics it does seem as though there's a small element of dash routing. Luckily I'm not amongst the chubby thighed brigade and therefore clearance isn't an issue for me.

Not a problem for me either.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, CK's TR6 said:

Wouldn’t it be easier to just have a bolt in steering wheel (no adapter needed) that was sorta flat at the bottom?

Probably a lot more expensive and non original, but depends what you want for you car.

But on the debate of ergonmics and to explain the bracket! (thanks, Jonny, for the heads up)

The steering column bracket does help access, but actually I'm not particularly tall myself and average build yet when I got my car I still wanted to raise the steering wheel for more wiggle room around the knees - I just found the steering wheel a tad too low. Low and behold I spotted that Triumph left quite a lot of room in the metal fascia hole where the steering column goes... 

What I find is that once I've put the seat in a position that works well for the pedals (particularly the clutch) and being close enough to the steering wheel to have a nice 'up and down' action on the steering wheel (rather than being too straight-armed), that my knees have to fall either side of the steering wheel quite a bit to avoid fouling it, which then pushes my feet outwards at the pedals...

I also wanted to keep the original steering wheel size, rather than solving things with a smaller dia wheel. 

And certainly getting in and out I find is nicer, not having to scoot knees/legs under the wheel. 

It may just be me!

Interested in any thoughts. 

5 hours ago, CK's TR6 said:

different solutions for different reasons. 

IMG_6958.jpeg

You might want to consider moving that guage below the dash - that looks like a certain kneecap breaker in even a minor prang.

Jerry

I made a couple of the steering wheels. I have the aluminum cores for several more laying about. As for the oil temp gauge, pretty flimsy mount, like really flimsy and nothing to block it from folding right up. I do find it useful as with the Racetorations sump, it takes some time for the oil to get to 150f. I don't go over 2500 rpm until then. And when trucking along at 85 mph for an hour or more in the desert when it's 110f outside, it's good to see what the temp is. 

• 2 months later...