Hood fouling on roll bar

My 6 came with one of those half hearted roll bars mounted by two bolts at the front of the rear deck, vertically through the wheel arches and two more bolts through the rear floor of the deck. Hood folded over it without any problem.

I have removed the old thick jute and crusty carpet on the rear deck. Before reinstalling the roll bar I check fitted it and the bolts still fitted through the vertical holes of the roll bar and wheel arches. so no change in height. All was bolted down tightly. The hood frame was then reinstalled. Now when trying to open or close the hood, the second bar fouls on the rear of the roll bar. Not by a small a mount either. I can just about force the hood bar over the rear of the roll bar. Its as if the roll bar has moved backwards or is now sitting higher which cannot be the case as all the original holes aligned. I have tried loosening the side mounts of the frame and adjusting it but there is not much adjustment and nothing has changed.

Bewildered.

Any thoughts chaps.

If I cannot drop the hood I will probably just remove the roll bar but my partner is not keen on the loss of the additional  protection.

Thanks.

Miles

Silly question, but I’ll ask it as I haven’t seen the roll bar in situ. 

Did you put it in the same way round as it came out ? If it’s angled and went in 180 degrees from when it came out, it might affect things.

Good question but it can only go back in one way because of the horizontal fixing via bolts through holes in the wheel arches at the front and vertical fixing via bolts through the rear  of the rear deck (if that makes sense!). 

It was because I was able to line up the holes at the front that I know the roll bar was the same height. Of course the rear feet could be higher but it would have to be at least a half inch higher (if not more) at the back for the roof bar to foul on it. Such an extreme angle would be obvious in the flattish too if the roll bar, which it isn’t. 

Hence, my head scratching!

Miles

So if the bar was previously fitted on top of the carpet and it is now under the carpet, then the angle must have changed.

These bars always have tight clearance, you might find fitting a couple of washers at the rear to tilt it forward, or at the front to tilt back does the trick.

Your partner is correct - always fit a roll bar.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry and you are right; the roll bar is important.

As I didn't have a problem previously hadn't appreciated the tolerance were so tight.

Looks like I am in for some old fashioned 'jigglin' and fettlin'.

Miles

Adjust the hood frame up a bit there is always some wiggle

6 hours ago, elclem1 said:

Adjust the hood frame up a bit there is always some wiggle

Not if the hood is too tight then, Vinyl will stretch but Mohair wont.

Stuart.

Thanks again. It’s a mohair hood and at maximum height. The solution will be at the base of the roll bar. Am away for a couple of weeks now but will report back in due course.

Miles

• 1 month later...

Just to close the loop on this one in case someone else has this issue. As Jerry noted, the tolerances around the roll bar are very tight. Ultimately, the solution was to shim the rearmost bolt through the rear deck so slightly tilting the roll bar forward and away from the rearmost hood frame hoop. Not a lot of movement was required to achieve a small gap between hood frame and roll bar. Quite time consuming because until everything is tightened up the final position cannot be established, so a few  cycles of bolting, shimming, tightening and unbolting. 

Miles