1969 Horn Push installation ?

Evening all

Finally fitted the refurbed early 1969 steering wheel with the deep boss. I purchased the parts below with the long pencil switch thinking that the three prong clip would be required but it's way too short and none of the usual suspects supply a longer one which would make sense.

I also have a small clip in the picture which seems a poor solution if its the correct part to use but I can't figure how it fits securely into the steering wheel to secure the horn push. Have I the correct push for this early wheel?

Can anyone enlighten me as to how it goes together and which parts are the correct ones to use with this steering wheel?

Thanks

Andy

PS Just realised I've installed it the wrong way with the third spoke up at 12 o'clock rather than at 6 but it won't make any difference to fitting the horn push!

IMG_3088.jpeg

IMG_3089.jpeg

IMG_3090.jpeg

Edited by PodOne
Added content.

The small clawed clip pushes onto the horn push rim along the axis of the steering shaft.  That is why there is a slot in the plastic, to accept it.  The outside edge of the claw clip then grips in the steering wheel opposite the sprung wire that makes the earth.   Be sure the end of your pencil contacts the brass plate of the horn push.   Which is why you need to get the steering wheel on correctly, so as not to annoy you as you drive the car finding that when you are driving straight, the steering wheel is on the wonk and the horn emblem is drunk.

IMG_1711.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Further to what Pete has said above, the three pronged clip has nothing to do with a 1969 TR6 steering wheel, it is part of the TR5 / TR250 horn push assembly.

Derek

Thanks Richard, Pete and Derek I'll have another look tomorrow, ditch the clip in the first instance and repot back.

Andy

22 hours ago, saffrontr said:

Further to what Pete has said above, the three pronged clip has nothing to do with a 1969 TR6 steering wheel, it is part of the TR5 / TR250 horn push assembly.

Derek

I don't agree Derek. The "pronged clip" 3 arms have to go in each of the 3 open slots in the horn push. This clip is fitted to many Triumphs (including Herald, Vitesse, GT6, Spitfire.....) to allow a perfect horn push and pencil positionning.

Not absolutly necessary, but original.

Edited by Chris59

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree Chris, there is no requirement for one with the 1969 TR6 steering wheel and no listing in the TR6 parts book whereas there is in the TR5 parts book and an illustration of it. 

Derek

Given the depth of the early 1969 steering wheel boss there is no way the clip would engage the horn push it would have to be another 3/4" to fit and would explain why its not listed in the official parts book. It would be good if if did as its a much better design.

I think what's confusing is that the parts plates that the usual suspect used to illustrate the parts is generic covering all the styles of steering wheels offered over the years.the illustrations make it look like one is required along with the small clip hence why I ordered both.

Haven't had chance to do anything today as I was put to work in the garden!

It will be interesting to see if the single small clip is enough to keep the horn push in place.

Andy

Andy...

I am not saying that I am entirely right, but this worked for me with my very early 1969 steering wheel set up...

You will see in the second image that at the tip of the flat headed screwdriver there is / should be a vertical plastic V shaped ridge which is in line with the brass contact strip on the underside of the horn push (the image shows that I stupidly filed this away on this horn push, which is a spare. 

Since the horn push will not sit easily inside the unpainted circular "collar" which is pictured in between the horn push and the black squashy rubber horn push centre pad surround, with mine I gently filed corresponding V notch into the unpainted collar's inner circumference lined up in the middle of the U shaped pencil "holder" prongs, so that the horn push can mate with the collar at the right point, and you will find that it holds there well without the need for the fiddly small clawed clip. 

Following from Steve Denton's set up for his same 1969 steering wheel I attached an earth lead to the copper earthing strong wire that protrudes from the side of the underside of the horn push, and soldered the other end of this earth lead to a hole that I had drilled in a washer which is set underneath the steering wheel securing nut.  This ensure that you should always have a good earth as the horn push's copper earth wire on the underside does not always provide this...

Good luck and enjoy terrorising the neighbourhood with your horns!

Mark

wheell3_edited-2.jpg

20230515_133907.jpg

PS...

If the collar is bolted so that the pencil sits at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel, and the corresponding copper contact strip to the underside of the horn push is also at 12 o'clock, the orientation of the Triumph Shield Logo on the horn push button will sit at the correct point in relation to the steering wheel, as an inverted "T"...

As posted by mrehke above here's an image of mine which shows the pencil at 12 o'clock and the small aluminium piece in the retainer at 6 o'clock which means that there is only the one position for the horn push that can work. The horn push in turn is held in by the copper "spring" and the small clip on its opposite side.

Derek1125936100_1969steeringwheelpencil.thumb.jpg.746ee9c68a14074517b17f3b9b9287e9.jpg  

Thanks Mark and Derek for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

I'll report back on progress once the decorating is done!

Andy