Gearbox refurb. Advice needed on Needle bearing removal.

Hello,

Gearbox refurb is going well but unsure of how to safely remove old bearings from laygear with damaging the laygear.  The output end already is without needles, (they have disappeared to dust leaving the outer case only.  Have not been successful at pushing out through the bore as there is minimal to push on. Do I just destroy it with a sharp chisel even though it is probably hardened?? Other end is still a full bearing but a similar problem. 

Thanks, David B

IMG_2648.HEIC

Laygear needle bearing.jpg

Edited by David B2
format change to photo

Tapered internal bearing puller is what I use David.

Usually to get bearings out like this, its possible to electric weld a couple of small lines on the inside of the shell, as it cools it shrinks and the bearing will come out easily, just be careful on these thin wall bearings not too use too many amps!, bigger thinker races are much easier.

John

I used an old long screwdriver with a bent shaft and a long drift. I seem to remember I ground a flat on the face of the drift to compensate for the slanted angle of the drift.

Moreover, take great care when you drift the new bearing in and make sure the squiggly markings on the casing goes the same way round as the old one. I used a socket exactly the same diameter as the outer cage and inserted the layshaft inside the needle rollers. Otherwise there is a chance the bearing will distort and come apart.
Result - needle rollers everywhere! 

Paul andChilliman, have only minimal face to grip on. Not sure about a normal puller but thanks anyway. 

Boxobits . I have plenty of old screwdrivers and will make a drift and that’s good advice to grind an angle to match the slanted angle of the drift. I don’t have much to engage on as the outer race was damaged. Only part of the inner end face exists. The outer end has ‘disappeared’ along with the needles. The cage was still there. 

will use the old lay shaft to line up both bearings when it comes to reassembly. 
Surprisingly the gears, synchros etc, apart from the main shaft end are in excellent condition.  

John L , if that fails will try the welding and pull. 
thanks

David B