Hi-Torque Starter Motor Trouble

Hi All,

Having spent a couple of months putting my TR4 back together I had hoped to start it this weekend.  However, when I went to turn the engine over, all I got was a loud click from the solenoid (not the one on the starter but the one on the car).  Tightening all the cables, earth straps etc did not help.  Battery was fully charged.  So I removed the starter from the car and decided to bench test it using a couple of jump leads and a spare battery.  I also spun the pinion by hand.  This time there was some movement - the pinion moved out a few mm then stopped and did not spin.  Anyone had this issue before and know any solutions/causes?  Else I'll need to order a new one after the weekend (or find an auto electrician).  It's a powerlite type unit which I bought from Moss quite a few years ago.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Thanks

Myles

We have had this issue before with starters that have been long term stored.  
On the end of the starter there is a tin plate held on by 3 screws.   It covers the solenoid area of the stater where the cables attach either side.  

Remove that plate.  Undo the screws and prise off the plate that usually has a gasket between it and the solenoid housing.

Take out the sprung plunger and copper disc. Clean the faces either side of the disc with fine emery or sand paper.  Look inside to where the disc goes and you will see two copper contacts, opposite each other.   Clean them so the disc will make good electrical contact to them.  

Re assemble and bench test.  
If it still does not want to work you could be in for a replacement starter.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Myles,

where do you live.  There is an excellent AutoElectrician in Uxbridge Middlesex.

I had problems on my first HT motor - ( internal solenoid contacts burnt)  sent it off for repair. In the meantime I bought a new one.

The repaired  on came home and sat on my  bench for about 6 months where upon the new replacement failed (different fault - all the bearings fell to pieces)

Fitted the repaired item and still running  to this day - 10+years later.

The replacement sat on my bench until selling it on last year.

They work very well once repaired properly.

Roger