Easter is here and the sun is out, so I plan to service my TR. I am keen to seal the top  plate on the steering box to avoid a minor leak.

1. What would be the best sealant to use ?

2. Will I I need a new gasket ?

3. What is the best oil ?

4. Practical tips on how to avoid any sealant near the peg and worm.

5. What cleaner should I use on the bare metal faces

I  need a need a reliable supplier and I am hoping to only make one order and need to know who can supply all to combine postage and packing.

I am keen on some advice from members who have been successful.

Thanks Richard and B.

I’ve never had a top plate gasket leak.   Are you sure it is not the hex plug fibre washers or the threaded insert for the peg adjuster leaking?

I would use -

Steering box semi fluid grease/oil.

New gasket

Wellseal

Clean with a degreaser like cellulose thinners/brake cleaner/acetone.

Check the top plate is completely flat without nicks or burrs, same for top of steering box housing.

Hello Richard,

I use “Penrite steering box lube.”

It’s not as thin as oil and so there is less chance for a leak to occur.

I cut my own gasket out of an old piece of cardboard (Because I’m cheap) and used Wellseal.

But like Peter says, it is more likely to be one of the things that screw into the top plate that is leaking.

If it is leaking from top plate joint are you sure that the bolts are tight?

Charlie.

Thanks for the help. I will have to order the Penrite unless there is a thicker one available which will leak less easily. Moss supply the gasket but their delivery charges are too high. Driving there to collect will be a bank breaker, so who can sell me the oil , the gasket and the Wellseal.

Tr shop used to be my local store but I am now in Sussex. 

Thanks Richard & B

Buy a pack of gasket material comes in A4 sheet size, make your own gaskets, not hard,cost effective, & you will never be stuck for a gasket again. EBay will have some. & will also have the oil.

Bob

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

...make your own gaskets, not hard...

+1

Richard,

It’s worth getting a few cheap hole punches from eBay.

Making good holes in gasket material is the only difficult part and the hole punches make it a lot easier.

Also get a proper medical type scalpel and blades rather than try to use a Stanley knife.

For less than the price of a ready made gasket you can set yourself up to make your own.

Charlie.

The stator tube in the steering column has a sealing ring under the outside nut which holds it secure. Does anyone know what is the correct size and who stocks them. 

I found the hole cutter collection in the garage at last.

Thanks Richard & B

That brass ring is a special split olive Richard. It's not something an ordinary ironmonger will stock but Moss have it. 

Unless yours is broken, it is re-usable, ( unlike a normal olive which would crimp on hard and have to be cut off ).

Edited by RobH