Front wing flange cut-outs.

Hi.

I'm repairing the front wings on my TR5 restoration project, and have welded in a new top flange, (where they all seem to rot)

I've drilled all the holes, but am a bit mystified as to why at the forward end of the flange there are two cut-outs which don't

seem to have any function. The only thing that I can think of is that they help the inward curvature of the wing at the forward end.

Any thoughts ?

Not sure what you meant. This is what it should look like

Stuart.

Marks TR5 460.jpg

Edited by stuart

Hi Stuart. As your picture shows, the top flange is the same width all the way from the back until about 30cm from the front, where there are two cutouts about 10cm long between the first and second hole, and the second and third hole. 

Dave.

6 minutes ago, dave bailey said:

Hi Stuart. As your picture shows, the top flange is the same width all the way from the back until about 30cm from the front, where there are two cutouts about 10cm long between the first and second hole, and the second and third hole. 

Dave.

They dont really do anything, I suspect it was just trimmed back like that to aid the pressing round the curve like you thought.

Stuart.

23 hours ago, stuart said:

Not sure what you meant. This is what it should look like

Stuart.

Marks TR5 460.jpg

Hi Stuart, great picture of a cleaned wing, is that what you do to all your tubs and panels now ? Or is it just a single wing replacement. I knew you'd gone off the dipping because of reactions and cleaning problems.

Mick Richards

Just now, Motorsport Mickey said:

Hi Stuart, great picture of a cleaned wing, is that what you do to all your tubs and panels now ? Or is it just a single wing replacement. I knew you'd gone off the dipping because of reactions and cleaning problems.

Mick Richards

Yes it always pays to go right back especially when theyve had some dodgy repairs in the past.

Stuart.

Marks TR5 473.jpg

Copy of Marks TR5 480.jpg

jeffstr5 005.jpg

20 hours ago, roy53 said:

How do you get them that clean Stuart ???

especially round the edges.  

Roy

Hot air gun strip first, then DA, then small air sander with 3M scotch pads and air die grinder with pointed rotary wire brush and obviously a lot of patience. If needed 80 grit folded up small to get right into the very corners. Oh and any pitted rust gets soaked in Jenolite. There used to be a really good blasters down here who was great at unsupported panels but unfortunately hes given up due to illness so its do it by hand.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart