Fixed Car Lift Standby Electricity Cost

For those of us with more money than sense who have installed a fixed car lift just a heads up.

They have for the past 20 years or so been controlled by 24 volt electrics and have a two pole on off switch that all the ones I have come across including my own lift is left on.

I have thought I should check that and now I have with a clamp meter on the main supply into the garage.

These lifts have a transformer and various other electronics included in their controller.

To cut to the chase, the lift I have checked consumed around 0.3 amps at 240 volts, that is 72 watt hours in an hour.

In a week is 12.1 Kw hours, 631 Kw hours in year.

With a unit cost of 32p a unit of electricity, an annual cost of £201.

My lift on / off switch is now only switched on when used and off at all other times.

In saying that installing a car lift in pure economic terms for a private motorist is not sensible to begin with.

Having a lift cut off switch in the electrics is just good practice anyway, mine comes via it's inbuilt ign type lock and just ensures that everything is dead until I activate the master switch and start to operate the lift hydraulics.

Mick Richards

Without my lift my hobby would be impossible. I’m far too old and knackered to work on my back under a car. It was the best investment I ever made.

I just turn off the post lift and compressor breakers on the way out of the shed. 

In a similar vein, I turned off a breaker in a disused outbuilding last week and my power consumption dropped permanently by 0.5KW. Never found anything connected but if my maths is correct I’ve saved £1450 per year.

17 hours ago, ed_h said:

My MAX JAX lift uses no electricity unless the "UP" button is pressed.  Lowering the lift is just a manual hydraulic valve, so no power there, either.

Ed

It will have a 24volt control system. Unless that is you physically disconnect the unit at a plug or with a double pole switch it will pull the standby power.

11 hours ago, Eddie Cairns said:

It will have a 24volt control system. Unless that is you physically disconnect the unit at a plug or with a double pole switch it will pull the standby power.

No measurable standby current on this one.  There is no low voltage circuit.  There is a contactor, but it's operated from line voltage.

Ed