On 3/8/2023 at 7:25 PM, Andy Moltu said:

I wouldn’t have thought there would be a huge difference in performance from 2 ignition maps, assuming they are not wildly out of parameter for the engine. One for regular unleaded and one for super perhaps.

Efi is a different matter in that there are more mapping options to enable fuel and ignition settings to suit different throttle settings. Leaner, richer, advanced or retarded for optimum fuel economy or power with a compromise between?

My 3-map options are as follows:

1. Race: optimum fueling & ignition. Pops, crackles and flames on closed throttle. (ignition retard & fuel cut).

2. Low octane, ie, if you find you can only get 95 octane, it retards the ignition timing if you hear if any pinking.

3. Economy: leans the fueling off a little.  This is noticeable if you have an AFR gauge inside the cabin.  OK to use if you're on a average speed area (motorway for example).

You can feel & hear the difference in each map.

Cheers.

Edited by TRTOM2498PI
8 minutes ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

My 3-map options are as follows:

1. Race: optimum fueling & ignition. Pops, crackles and flames on closed throttle. (ignition retard & fuel cut).

2. Low octane, ie, if you find you can only get 95 octane, it retards the ignition timing if you hear if any pinking.

3. Economy: leans the fueling off a little.  This is noticeable if you have an AFR gauge inside the cabin.  OK to use if your'e on a average speed area (motorway for example).

You can feel & hear the difference in each map.

Cheers.

Any idea what the actual hp and torque values are in each mode? 

• 1 month later...

I’ve just put one of the ignition123tune+ distributors in my TR3. Must say I’m really impressed with it, the app is quite good on my iPad, didnt seem as solid on android phone but I didn’t try for long as it worked fine out of the box on the iPad. Also ran on the out of the box standard curves from Ignition  which is nice in that you start as least from a running car.

I did spend a day messing about with it getting the curves right but I’m really delighted with the results, it’s transformed the drivability of the car. I’m sure a well set up good condition mechanical distributor would also have been a vast improvement over the one I had in the car but that wouldn’t afford the opportunity to tune for your own car yourself. I drove it for 80 miles or so, stop, start, stop start and tuning in real time with the Bluetooth app on the iPad on the seat beside me, poor man’s rolling road if you like. The USB cable could do the same job with a bit of messing about with the cable but wow the Bluetooth is handy.

Great product, no real problems with comms at all, like all software it hangs a little now and again, nothing that an on/off at the ignition doesn’t cure. Cheap improvement I must say.