Engine test start

Hi All

Bit of a second opinion or advice required.

Bought yet another old car, a 1968 BMC with an A series engine and gearbox in sump and no its not a Mini.

Its been of the road since the mid 1990’s and not run for at least 20 years.

I need to pull the engine to repair the bodywork, but I’d hate to then put the engine back in and find its junk.

So the idea is to start the engine to see what I’ve got and what it sounds like. Then I might get a better Idea of what I need to do to it. Is this a worthwhile exercise?

It turns over by hand so not seized and I’ve had a look in the bore using an endoscope camera and it looks ok, well as far as I can tell.

I’ve got new some ign parts but the big question is should I change the oil and filter just for the test run which might only be 2 to 5 minutes.

I’m tending towards trying to get it running and changing it all but can think of loads of other parts to spend £50 on if running the engine and changing the oil is a pointless exercise.

Cheers  Keith  

Hi Keith,
I would also just try and start it if the oil looks ok. Check the oil pressure warning light first (does it work?).

If there is a possibility to check the actual oil pressure (not just the light) that would be preferred.

Have a nice day, a bit like find it, fix it, drive it:)

Waldi

Hi All

There is plenty of oil in there but it is very very black.

I decided to take the oil filter off as i thought well its been in the car for probably 30 years plus and who knows if its desintigrated by now.

And some of the oil seemed well a bit gloopy, so im tending towards doing an oil change then trying to start it.

It might be pointless as the engine could be shot and rattle like a bag of nails but hey ho.

Cheers   Keith

Keith  - if it was me, I would change the oil and filter first - you don't have to use a really expensive oil and filter and as I think you said the engine is likely to be stored for a while whilst you do the body, having fresh oil can't be a bad thing whereas bad oil isn't good for storage.

Cheers Rich