Wire Wheel Adaptor Nuts

Hi

I'm wrestling with removing one of the wire wheel adaptor nuts from the TR5. Despite being new last year and using a new Britool Hallmark 6 sided socket, one nut has rounded off. I'm in the process of sawing / drilling it out .... The adaptors are two years old, the nuts were all replaced last year and all items are of correct pattern from one of the more respected TR suppliers.

Are these nuts all of the same quality? Does anyone have a recommendation for supplier(s) please as I intend to replace all of them (again).

Kind regards

Paul

There have been some dodgy ones of them around, I buy mine from TR Shop and theyre good quality, dont over torque them as theyre supposed to be at 60lbft.

Stuart.

I use red loctite and torque to 65 lb/ft. 
I have modified a six point socket by chamfering the outside diameter to fit into the recessed adaptor. 
New adaptors by MWS through TR Shop have a deeper counterbore than the originals so a flat faced socket was only locating on half the already slim flats. 

814C30BD-BBAF-422B-98AB-F7FA935D95EA.jpeg

2 hours ago, Roadrunner Paul said:

Hi Andrew

My adaptors are recent MWS also.

Interesting about the modified socket - any chance of a photo please?

Cheers

Paul

I’ll post a pic when I get home later today. 

If you can file the socket it may not be tough enough steel to do the job you intend.   
A whizz round on a grinder would be more appropriate.  Regular quenching in water to stop overheating and losing the steels temper.

Hi all,

I know it is very popular to have grease on the tapered surface of the adapters and wire wheels.

It is recommended since ages on hearsay and on good believe.

But….

Surfaces you want to slide on each other you better grease.

And surfaces you want to have a tight fit on each other you better grease or not?

I‘m about 10 years (?) without grease there on the road without problems.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
my poor English orthography
1 hour ago, Z320 said:

Hi all,

I know it is very popular to have grease on the tapered surface of the adapters and wire wheels.

It is recommended since ages on hearsay and on good believe.

But….

Surfaces you want so slide on each other you better grease.

And surfaces you want to have a tight fit on each other you better grease or not?

I‘m about 10 years (?) without grease there on the road without problems.

Ciao, Marco

You very definitely don’t want grease on the tapered surface of wire wheels and adapters. If you do have grease on them (particularly the rears) you rely on the splines to transmit the drive and every time you go from forward to reverse gear you’ll get a clonk. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. It took me ages to remove all traces of grease at which point the clonk disappeared. 

Rgds Ian

Thank you Ian,

it is not only the annoying clonk-noise,

please look on my old adapters, always well greased by the previous owners....

Better ones from the front like this

1740-16614.jpg

But from the rear...!

1740-16617.jpg