Wedge sidescreens with a later hood.

Stressing about a job which is still probably a year away but that's what happens in the wee dark hours. 

I have just bought a hood for the car but I now understand it is for the later style of sidescreens. Looking at various images I can't see why the mountings would make much / any difference yet at the same time I guess there has to be a reason for them being specified for TS28825 onwards. 

The hood was £295 in blue mohair so I'm keen to make it work but not at the expense of it looking cack. Equally my fixings / mountings for the sidescreens are all newly chromed so even if it was a simple swap of mounts I'd rather not. Is it a dimensions thing regarding frame sizes or am I missing something?

I have an original steel hardtop (needing a fair bit of work) which will probably be on the car very occasionally in the winter. My thinking with the hood is for if the weatherman drops a clanger and I'm caught out during the rest of the year. Ideally the car will never feel the rain and heavens forbid it gets coated in the annual salt bath. I do however live in Yorkshire.

Is it just that the earlier hood has a single rear "window" as opposed to the two extra quarter windows on the later hoods?

Ta Mark

I am pretty sure the sidescreens dimensions are the same for all TRs. I've just checked Bill Piggotts book and yes there was no change in shape.

The single rear window was only on the early TR2s up to TS4306. TR2s up to TS5254 had fixed windows in the sidescreens, later cars had sliding windows. For my early TR2, TS3732O, I had Skinners put in the single rear window. My later TR2 TS5038O has a 3 window hood. Both cars have fixed sidescreen windows.

In summary, your top should be fine with the sidescreens.

Fab. Thanks to you both for the rapid replies. Now I can find something else to worry about.

As Bob writes the Ltd peg on the 1/4 panel moved upwards on cars with Dzus sidescreens.  This is because with the wedge sidescreen  Ltd peg position is nicely under where the Dzus sidescreen metal frame is which may cause chaffing or rubbing of the peg on the frame.     Moving the peg up and back by about an inch clears it from touching the Dzus sidescreen metal framework.  The only issue you might find with later hood on wedge sidescreen cars is a reduced overlap of the sidescreen at the rear vertical join where your elbow is.    

For the same reason the LTD pegs on the doors moved downwards to clear the SS metal frame.

On my '3 I blanked the original quarter panel LTD peg hole with a plain head Staniless screw,

& replaced the door LTD's with lower profile "press studs". These fit under the SS metal frame without a problem.

Bob

Again thanks to you both for that. I have new skins on the doors so hopefully that means I can arrange the LTDs to suit. The rear deck is original and hopefully holes there will be suitable. In fact the rear deck, and most of the upper part of the front bulkhead are pretty much the only pieces of steel that came out of Canley. 

Thanks Iain. More tips the better, it's the most expensive chunk of material I've ever bought so would hate to mess it up.