LED headlamp bulbs on historic rally cars

Simple question.   Are LED driving lamp bulbs permitted?

Reason for asking.

A Good friend of mine is now the owner/custodian of one of these and it is fitted with LED bulbs.  

Peter W

A4D2E82A-C640-4E6D-93A5-DD983EEBC83C.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Peter

It's my understanding that you cannot run LED headlamp bulbs on historic rally cars in events run under MSUK permits in the UK, I had to go back to standard H4  bulbs on my rally TR4. LED bulbs in sidelights, indicators etc are OK. Your friend needs to study the MSUK blue book for chapter and verse on what can and what cannot be used (in historic rallying  (https://www.motorsportuk.org/resource-centre/#yearbook). For instance a maximum of two forward facing auxiliary lights may be fitted (none permitted at all for cars with four headlights) - although this isn't enforced for events only run in daylight.

Dave

34 minutes ago, DaveB66 said:

Peter

It's my understanding that you cannot run LED headlamp bulbs on historic rally cars in events run under MSUK permits in the UK, I had to go back to standard H4  bulbs on my rally TR4. LED bulbs in sidelights, indicators etc are OK. Your friend needs to study the MSUK blue book for chapter and verse on what can and what cannot be used (in historic rallying  (https://www.motorsportuk.org/resource-centre/#yearbook). For instance a maximum of two forward facing auxiliary lights may be fitted (none permitted at all for cars with four headlights) - although this isn't enforced for events only run in daylight.

Dave

That’s my understanding too.

As it has campaigned in Europe ok up to when he took custodianship he may just ignore the UK

PS can be spotted it East Sussex on its Italian plates waiting for DVLA to get their 5hit together    I suggested it remains on foreign plates like all the shagged out BMWs etc round here in West London on Eastern European license plates.

73E56B82-CF22-46EA-A403-F35888D11851.jpeg

E9E89219-C251-4532-940E-DC7FF8880CE6.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 3:56 PM, DaveB66 said:

For instance a maximum of two forward facing auxiliary lights may be fitted (none permitted at all for cars with four headlights) - although this isn't enforced for events only run in daylight.

Just emerging from the rally off-season... sorry I mean lovely family Christmas/New Year break, and saw this thread.

Worth also mentioning that max diameter allowed for lamps is 222mm. (Apart from pre-war cars). Most of the commonly-used units eg Hella Rallye, Cibie Oscar, PIAA, will be okay but worth checking - on Rally of the Tests a couple of years back several people were caught on scrutineering.

Stunning Fulvia by the way.

Nigel

Thank you for the advice Nigel.  I will pass it on but I suspect the car will remain kitted out the way it arrived.    I have yet to see it in the flesh and the piles ( I’m told) of competition specific spares.  When I’ve been thundered up to Beachy Head and back I’ll report back.   Not quite the Eastbourne/Costa Geriatrica cruiser we all expect.

Fab. For UK historic road rallying, given the LED ban and four-lamps max a lot of people put on dual-filament (ie H4) lamp units. I use PIAA 80s, with the main beams wired as driving lamps and the dipped beams as fogs - the PIAAs have a nice sharp cut-off.

Of course for events where you're going to be running for long periods on full lighting, a good quality and adequately sized alternator is then a must!

Nigel