Hi All

I know there has been some discussion around the poor fitting of some sumps.

Recently when I took out the plug to change the oil the thread on the sump was very brittle and I had to do a retap and fit a bigger plug.

I have spoken to a local alloy repairer who has many years in the business. Not having seen the sump he said be may be able to put a speedi sleeve in. He thinks that due to its age (original with car so 65 years old) I would probably be better off getting a new one. He thinks being that old it would probably have been made with a magnesium component and likely to be porous.

I'm no expert so would I better going new. TR Shop seem the best value but freight is high due to travel half way round the world. All up £370 or NZ$720. 

Thoughts appreciated

Regards

Brian

I believe old ally is funny stuff and you are probably best not trying to weld etc 

One immediate thought, because I guess you would like to keep your car original is to have a machine shop manufacture a steel plug to fit your original drain. have this plug drilled and tapped  up the centre to take a new albeit narrower new plug or simply a bolt. Fit your original drain plug seal for life with Wellseal. If your original is tapered then thats probobly teh best you can do, if its parallel then you could have this new plug made long enough to have a copper washer and nut fitted inside the sump.

Fit that permanently and then use the tapped and plugged centre as your new drain. 

Just a thought but I like the obvious ‘Mechanical’ permanent ‘Fix’ rather than a weld on old ally dumping my engine oil all over a road on a spirited TR drive 

John

As Marco says, you have already fixed the main 'problem' with that bigger drain plug.  Has the metal really become brittle or had the plug been done up a bit too tightly on numerous occasions and weakened the thread?  It doesn't have to be ultra strong or ultra tight - it's only holding back oil which isn't even under pressure.

It also sounds as though your repairer has worried you unnecessarily.  If the sump has become porous you can either get it epoxy vacuum impregnated, or DIY by using a sealing paint on the inside. 

https://www.frost.co.uk/glyptal-red-enamel-946ml-us-quart/

Edited by RobH

An Aluminium alloy or Magnesium alloy sump shouldn't change its characteristics too much with time.

Road salt etc could have a problem. But if it has the TRIUMPH ring of oily protection then corrosion would be a minimum.

GLYPTAL on the inside will certainly seal any pores.

If you are concerned that the metal has undergone some change then consider heat treatment to 'soften' up again. 

Roger

Sump.JPG

On 11/25/2022 at 7:00 AM, Z320 said:

After a  retap and with a bigger plug - what do you worry?

A perfect and period time repair makes your car more „valuable“ (Jap. Kintsugi)

Edited by Z320