Synthetic Fuel NOT Bio

Interesting read, something like this needs to be done to solve the problem of all the existing internal combustion engines including the less rich countries which would lag behind. 

All positive if it can happen and allow us to use our cars as they were intended. 

Gareth

Interesting idea, though I'm concerned by the energy input required,  since water must be electrolysed to produce hydrogen,  which is presumably combined with carbon dioxide to produce methanol. There is also an energy cost in capturing carbon dioxide.  Would the methanol then be used as a fuel for modified internal combustion engines,  or would further energy intensive chemical synthetis be required to produce higher molecular weight alkylates to fuel an IC engine??

I'm sceptical that such a process could yield a commercially viable petrol or diesel substitute in the near future. Apologies for my pessimism.

Nigel

As an engineer working on refineries, I agree Nigel.

And I’m even more pessimistic of our future on this earth. The climate conference outcome is clear: Agreement on some funds for the poor countries which is positive (although not deposited yet by the richer countries), but little agreement to reduce emissions by some of the largest economies.

Waldi