Monday  evening I set off for the South Downs Group AGM. TomTom always send me through a village called Barcombe, which has a river. The group is looking for a new leader our because our current chief is retiring. I left home at 6.15 to allow for a slow drive.  I arrived at Barcombe and the water was across the road. A Land Rover came towards me and passed ok, so I carried on keeping the revs high and using the clutch pedal to keep forward motion. 

The engine stopped and the water was coming in over the cills on the VW. It was very hard to open the door. The flood was at least 18" deep. I called the AA and after about an hour I could see blue flashing lights in the distance. The AA had called Lewes fire brigade and there were three fire engines. Two helpful fireman walked me out of the flood and gave me a lift down to the main road, about one mile . It was very hard to walk in such deep water and avoid falling over.  At about 9.00 pm my wife arrived and collected me. The car stayed in the flood. area of Barcombe.

This morning I drove back to the VW in the TR3 and found a waste lorry on its side in the ditch next to my car. The two drivers were OK and pushed my VW on to a part of the road with no standing water. I called the AA again and they agreed to be there at 12.00 . I was delivered there at 11.15 and the AA arrived at 11.45. There were two helpful mechanics who understood the water problem which did not allow the engine to turn over and no possibility of starting. They put a rigid bar on the front of the VW and towed it away with me riding in the towing car.

Part 2 tomorrow

Richard & B

We arrived at our local village garage in Ringmer, Sussex ,  and the manager was ok as it was arranged but the owner came out and explained that he had three flooded cars in the back car park and that he did not want mine.  I had done some research into overhauled engines and it was difficult and now  I would need a home mechanic ??  It. would also cost a large sum and have other complications . So I imagined that the car was a write off.

I  continued with the  AA recovery team and was then taken   to my home . After we arrived I showed them the TR3 and they were interested. They began to explain how the VW air intake becomes full of water. I noticed that the overalls that they were wearing had a name involving VW but it was not easy to read. After a few minutes they began to take off the air filter. This went on to removing the engine under tray and the air intake and the glo plugs. They spun the engine and water was ejected high into the air, from the cylinders and  from underneath. They had to work under the engine and the ground was wet but it was not raining. After a long session they tried to start the engine and it fired up. There was smoke at the exhaust but it soon went away. They also had a small pump to suck out the flooded floor inside..  I tried to give them some compensation for the time but they refused and I insisted. I have moved from depressed to very happy in a short time.

They were very pleased and I was overwhelmed that I may not need a new engine. I was advised to leave it running on the drive until 4.00pm and then try a short journey. It went well. The engine is running well and has covered 182000 miles

This morning I tried the starter and it was making a strange noise but the engine started and ran ok. The AA knew that I had a flooded VW engine and sent me a team who knew the answers. They were brilliant. I was expecting a yellow van and one man for recovery only. The disaster turned into a success and the SDG voted a new group leader . Today the sun is out and the temperature is like a late summer evening.  I am hoping to dry out the carpets with the windows open.  The weather does not seem like November as I remember it when I was at school.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Richard & B

Sounds like you've been very lucky Richard. It might be worth changing the engine oil in case any water found its way into the sump via any breathers etc.

A neighbour flooded her petrol Nissan many years ago - I did the same as the AA did for you - albeit the petrol engine equivalents. Removed the air filter and plugs, spun the engine, replaced the air filter etc. The car ran fine for a good few years afterwards, although the interior always smelt funny where the muddy water had poured in when she opened the drivers door to get out.

You are lucky Richard. I drove into a flood in 1969 in a Hillman Imp. Rear engine so the front floated until it began to sink and only then did I realize how deep it was.

The AA refused to come and assist because they said it was an “Act of God”.

I explained that it wasn’t God that was driving but it made no difference.

I had to call a mate out to get me home.

Charlie.

That’s a very good outcome Richard, that AA crew deserves a great compliment!

All above are good tips, I hope your starter motor will be ok.

I once helped a friend who’s car had been in the water (front end only). I blew dry all electric connections and pockets where I could with compressed air, he never had an issue.

Waldi

The starter may have suffered from electrolytic corrosion of the metal parts inside, if it was full of water for any length of time with the battery still connected.

I have seen this on a narrow boat which got partially flooded. the starter was a right mess, & not repairable.  

Bob