Hi. Has anyone purchased a pair of 'new' replacement door trim panels from Robsport or Rimmers? 

e.g. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RB7701RH

They make it clear that "the existing courtesy lamp & interior door handle escutcheons from your original door trim panels will need to be retained and re-used."

But my question is: what's on the back of these panels? E.g. Do they come with the 18 x Clip - Trim Retaining - GHF1222 already attached? Is there a plastic protective cover attached like the original?

I did ask Rimmer's sales desk, but their answer wasn't rather convincing. Just wondering if anyone has first-hand experience.

I'd guess you just get the bare hardboard backing, no clips or anything else. That's how I have received them in the past (but not Rimmers).

Isn't the plastic rain curtain inside the door rather than on the trim panel? I usually use a builders rubble bag cut to shape and stuck to the door with tank tape.

Jerry

Thank you, Jerry.

I guess the clips weren't a big deal financially. I just didn't want to order some if the panels already were supplied with them. So, I will now order clips at the same time as the new panels.

As regards the plastic, my existing original panels are definitely 'factory fitted' with the rain curtain as the staples are all original. Again though, no big deal I guess as I can get a bit of plastic separately as you suggest.

Thank you once again for replying.

when you buy the trim panels they usually come with plastic wrapping, i use that as the plastic to stick to the door using non setting windscreen sealer to attach them. It worked for me. 

51 minutes ago, elclem1 said:

when you buy the trim panels they usually come with plastic wrapping, i use that as the plastic to stick to the door using non setting windscreen sealer to attach them. It worked for me. 

Thank you for the advice. I've now ordered the panels but they are on back order until January. I will see what these come wrapped in.

• 2 months later...

Hi Robert, hopefully your panels have now arrived.

I used builder's damp proof membrane (polythene) to refurb mine. It comes in huge rolls from most builders' merchants but it's relatively inexpensive and is of a substantial thickness. I have some offcuts from a building project if that's any help. 

As JerryTR5 mentions the rain curtain inside the door, I thought I'd just say that both were original on my 1981 DHC. The rain curtain had come adrift and was lurking in the bottom of the door. I used that as a pattern to cut a new one and glued it in place. If you need pictures, polythene, or both, do give me a nudge. 

• 3 months later...

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your email. Apologies for the delay in replying - I hadn't expected any more replies so I wasn't keeping a track on the thread.

To Rimmers' credit, the new panels arrived just before Christmas - so my wife wrapped up the box for me as they were my Christmas present from her.

I actually ended up buying a 'smallish' pond liner from Amazon - i.e. a damp proof membrane - to use as the replacement rain curtain. However, I just haven't had time to fit them to the car yet. Hopefully this weekend....I still have the originals to use as a template.

I still need to decide if I will attach the liner to the door or to the back of the panel. I know someone suggested previously that they get fitted to the door - but my originals were definitely attached to the panels. Can I clarify where you glued yours too? Was it a). inside (i.e. internally) the door, b). on the door (before fitting panel) or c). on the inside of the panel?

Kind regards

Robert 

Stick the water proofing sheet to the door frame to keep the water that may enter the door inside the door. ( I use non setting mastic)   The door will have drain holes in the bottom to allow any water entering it to drain out.   If you stick the waterproof sheet to the  door trim only the water/rain may dribble down inside the gap between door inner frame and trim and soak the inside of the car and carpet.