Window weather strips.

Hi all

I have just purchased both inner and outer weather strips for both sides of the car and apart from trying to get them in to shape (the inners are straight) I am scratching my head and thinking fitting them to the doors can’t be as easy as it seems,I have also bought the fitting tool as suggested by Rimmers and all new clips.So I thought I would consult the font of knowledge that is our forum and ask if anyone out there could give me some hints on making this task at least doable , any thoughts most welcome 

many thanks nige

I buy the complete kit of four with clips from TR Shop, they fit well and are the right shape. The outers need the steel section just trimming slightly on each end to fit inside the window aperture (Dont trim the top rubber as it makes a better seal to the screen frame and back to the hood.)

Fit the outer first by taking the lower window glass stop out and wind the glass down as far as possible. You`ll see there are square indents in the drop section of the seal this is where the clips go, fit the clip into the tool and then holding the rubber down against the top of the door pull the clip up. Sometimes the clips need opening up just a little.Once you have the outer in place then fit the clips for the inner to the door and then press the inner felt one into the clips, sometimes it helps to get the tool down under each clip as you press the felt down.The inner may need trimming to suit the length of opening too.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

+1 for TR Shop!
Tim

Does fitting new inner and outer seals/felt stop the rattle of the window when you shut the door with window down? I have managed to eliminate all door rattles but that one, but my window seals may date from the day the car left the factory...

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Does fitting new inner and outer seals/felt stop the rattle of the window when you shut the door with window down? I have managed to eliminate all door rattles but that one, but my window seals may date from the day the car left the factory...

No not really, what you need to do is take the window slides out and crimp the fibre slippers at the top of the slides in a bit. Try the glass through them to make sure you havent crimped them in too far, they need to be just "snug"

Stuart.

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Replace the old felt in the window channels with some velcro (the furry side). This really stops the rattling when the window is down.