Tyre recommendations

Modern tyres tend to have a square cross section and stiff sidewalls which suits the complex geometry of a modern car and sophisticated dampers which do the job previously done by a soft sidewall. 
Our cars don’t have the geometry to keep the tread on the ground and consequently the tread tends to lift and the tyres ride on the shoulders during hard cornering much reducing the contact patch unless the car is fitted with extremely stiff springs, dampers and arbs.

Tyres with a higher profile and soft sidewalls deform more readily and allow the tread to remain on the road. The drifting seen in classic races isn’t grip being lost but the sidewall deforming under load while the tread is stuck to the road and then recovering its shape as the load comes off as the wheel rotates. 

I favour a relatively narrow, rounded cross section tyre with a softish compound, soft sidewalls and full profile. 

11 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

Modern tyres tend to have a square cross section and stiff sidewalls which suits the complex geometry of a modern car and sophisticated dampers which do the job previously done by a soft sidewall. 
Our cars don’t have the geometry to keep the tread on the ground and consequently the tread tends to lift and the tyres ride on the shoulders during hard cornering much reducing the contact patch unless the car is fitted with extremely stiff springs, dampers and arbs.

Tyres with a higher profile and soft sidewalls deform more readily and allow the tread to remain on the road. The drifting seen in classic races isn’t grip being lost but the sidewall deforming under load while the tread is stuck to the road and then recovering its shape as the load comes off as the wheel rotates. 

I favour a relatively narrow, rounded cross section tyre with a softish compound, soft sidewalls and full profile. 

At last...thankyou for pointing out what I bang on about when I talk of "tyre slip".

It isn't a "skid" or loss of grip but a realignment of the tyre where the contact patch is rolled "across" tyre treaded area. Just like this man does.

Fangio drifting.png

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

FWIW, I put new Hankook KLNERGY ECO2 87T Tyres (165/80) on my 4a about 1,000 miles ago. I am very fussy about the tyres I put on my motorbikes, but wasn't too fussed about the car (doesn't go as fast and at least there are 4 of them!).

So far I have been extremely pleased, but of course they're not getting very hard testing. When I got the car a couple of years ago it had different rubber on all corners, but eah had nearly new tread, but they were too old and I think probably quite hard. In comparison, the new ones seem much softer - the ride is much nicer and they seem to have really good grip - so absolutley fine for my needs.

The cost was ££61.50 each from an ebay seller and I got a local tyre fitter to fit and balance them to my brand new painted wires for £15 each (the balancing is another story - but very satisfactory in the end).

Alistair.

• 3 weeks later...