Replacing fuel gauge bulb

Hi Guys,

I appreciate that this may have been covered before but I have searched and can't find anything. I recently had my first drive out in the dark in my TR5 with the Surrey top removed. It was quite magical! However, I noticed that the backlight of the fuel gauge wasn't working. I have bought a new bulb but how on earth do I get behind the dashboard to reach the bulb holder?

Thanks,

Denis

Hi Guys,

I haven't had a reply but I did manage to access the bulb. I did this by removing the 4 self tapping screws that secure the cubby box and unbolted the strap beneath it. I was then able to move the cubby box to one side to gain access behind the instruments. I then removed the ashtray and was able to get an excellent view of the bulb holder. I levered the bulb holder out of its socket from above and pulled it up through the ashtray hole, making changing the bulb very easy. Getting the bulb holder back in place by reaching behind the dashboard was a fiddle but all now done and dusted!

Denis 

That's great Mike! I probably should have mentioned that my usually willing and able assistant, my wife, was invaluable in guiding me by looking through the windscreen into the ashtray hole as I attempted to get the bulb holder back into its tube at the rear of the gauge. It reminded me of the Golden Shot, which you may or may not remember... 

Edited by DenisMc
typo

Just saying as I've just rebuilt/installed my dash on my 6 it might be easier to simply remove the five dash screws and pull the dash forward with the clocks/gauges attached to get at the bulbs. Only snag might be the oil pressure pipe but you could release that from the block for a bit more wriggle room.

Agree though its not easy access for fat paws!

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Remove the rev counter and speedo. Disconnect the glove box stay. Remove the five screws and then pull the dash forward which will enable you to access the four gauges. I always take the drivers seat out and lay in the footwell to remove the speedo/rev counter and use a led torch to light the way.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter