Heater plenum

Anyone tell me why the TR7 heater plenum (the plastic clip-on thing in the engine bay) is so big when the air inlet is not much more than 6 x 4 ?

The plenum always seems to get in the way - on the Sprint the dizzy fouls it, presume it is worse with a V8.

I'm thinking of removing the plenum and feeding the heater with an 'elephants trunk' from under the bumper. Any reason why not?

Jerry

The metal clip-on scoop acts as a water/rain catcher to stop the water flowing onto the engine. Water drains into it both from the bonnet vent and from the windscreen. It always looked like an after thought to me.

Dave

Quite right, metal not plastic. Good point about the water drain in front of the screen, I hadn't removed the rubber strip. Wonder why they didn't have a complete flange across that panel, I'll have to block up the slots.

Cheers, Jerry.

Interesting you say plastic. I've got a glass fibre one and an original metal one. I hadn't noticed one was slass fibre until I came round to thinking about panel beating it to fit round a V8 with Holley pancake filter. I suspect the fibreglass one is a retro fit. I think I picked it up at an autojumble.

The plenum keeps the under bonnet air away from entering the car’s heater / fresh air intake…

The large pancake filters on top of a Holley / Edelbrock equipped V8 often require some fettling and welding to the plenum for clearance.

Edited by BusheyTrader
Air filter note

This item along with a dip stick were our biggest selling wedge items after obvious routine service parts.  The plenum was clearly left off and lost or placed under the car by the service department mechanic and then run over.  Why the dip stick?  We think owners never put them back in the engine tubes properly after checking their oil, so they just fell to the ground under the car.  The other item that was a good seller was the plastic strap for the glove box door 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 1 month later...

Decided to discard the plenum and fit a scoop under the front bumper along with an elephants trunk to a custom adaptor over the heater intake.

Made a GRP heater intake adaptor whichj looks like this:1466103510_heaterintake(Medium).thumb.jpg.b58eed1b9cdbcade117d1eee3cf12ab2.jpg

Fitted over the heater intake

2071703712_elephantstrunk(Medium).thumb.jpg.2f8e38e085fc94406c75b88e7e8d9e79.jpg

Edited by jerrytr5
multiple images - why? how?
11 hours ago, jerrytr5 said:

Decided to discard the plenum and fit a scoop under the front bumper along with an elephants trunk to a custom adaptor over the heater intake.

Made a GRP heater intake adaptor whichj looks like this:1466103510_heaterintake(Medium).thumb.jpg.b58eed1b9cdbcade117d1eee3cf12ab2.jpg

Fitted over the heater intake

2071703712_elephantstrunk(Medium).thumb.jpg.2f8e38e085fc94406c75b88e7e8d9e79.jpg

Nice mod.