Jammed in first gear!

On the way home from a 150 mile run over the Yorkshire dales yesterday I had the gearstick jam in first gear. Fortunately there was a pull in just a few yards down the road so I was able to get off the main road. After removing the gearstick the selector came easily out of gear, it would seem that the anti rattle plunger had come out of the hole in the gearstick and jammed the stick in the selector rod.

After re assembly ( without the spring and plunger) I was able to continue, and the gearchange was better than it has ever been. It was always difficult to get second, especially when cold, but now it snicks in lovely. Although the gearstick does now rattle.

When I was building the car I was missing this plunger and spring and got one from Moss. I was expecting something with a rounded end but what I got looked just like a bearing roller, square at each end. When I retrieved the plunger out of the selectors yesterday it has worn quite rounded at the end, and I think it had worn to the stage where it had been able to cockle out of the gearstick hole, in only 4000 miles of use.

Looked in the parts manual and this plunger is listed but not shown. Does anyone know what the original one looks like and where I might get one. Also, as the gearstick fits both ways should the spring and plunger face forwards or backwards. I had it facing forwards but this could have been wrong and contributed to the stiff change and wear.

Ralph

It should have one rounded end, & be long enough such that it cannot come out of it's hole once the gear lever is in place. sounds like you were given the wrong item .

Bob

Sounds like you were sold the wrong item as a plunger.

As stated it should have a domed end and the ones I have encountered are hardened, so do not wear so rapidly.

I have made them out of silver steel rod and flame hardened accordingly.

Let us not forget that the anti rattle spring and plunger were modifications to the original gearstick design.

Clearly someone could hear the gearstick sizzle in 1950 something.

Peter W

10 hours ago, Hamish said:

Ralph talk to Tom @

https://petecoxsportscars.co.uk

he’ll be able to provided advice and parts I’m sure. 
H

Thanks Hamish, already spoken to Tom, he says they use a ball bearing and spring which tends to roll rather than slide. 

Ralph