TR6 Clear Hooters Wiper switch

My wiper switch has recently become temperamental. It started with a reluctance to switch on the wipers, it needed a little persuasion to get the low speed to work by first going straight to hi-speed setting, then back to the lo point.

Then today, on encountering a few poor roads, a couple of potholes actually set the wipers going and now they are permanently on!

It’s a 1969 car and has the Clear Hooters type switch which are rather thin on the ground and expensive. However, some years ago I acquired a good looking spare (and also NOS washer switch to boot) so I thought it’s time to swap it.

However, on closer inspection I discovered its not identical to the original as the replacement has only one “on” position not two. It does have 4 blade connectors, so I am wondering if it for a car that had single speed self-parking capability?

I’ve attached photo of the replacement switch and highlighted the part of the switch that prevents the rocker switch from closing like the original.

I’m wondering if I should dismantle the switch to check out the internals to see if by removing that plastic know would give the operations of hi & lo

I’m not so bothered about the hi speed wipers. But I am not sure if this switch would even work when connected.

Interestingly to note the original switch & harness has 4.8mm spade connectors whereas the replacement switch has the larger 6mm type.

I’d be grateful for any thoughts - what car the switch was used on or if this switch is likely to work?

Just to add that the switch is at least 38 years old as that’s how long I’ve owned the car, more likely to be the original so it’s not done too badly…

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

Replacement Switch.jpg

Original.jpg

Orginal off postion.JPG

The switch is supposed to operate like this:

OFF 4 connects to 3

SLOW 2 connects to 3

FAST 1 connects to 2

Before you do anything else, if the wipers are still permanently running with the dash switch in the OFF position, try unplugging the wire from pin 4 of the switch.  If the wipers stop, the fault is in the self-park switch of the wiper motor rather than the dash switch. 

If that doesn't work then it is indeed the dash switch at fault - I think your best bet initially would be to try to resurrect it - it may just need a squirt of switch-cleaner to free things up inside. 

If you cut the pip off the new switch, it may not work properly as there may not be the necessary internal parts to provide the spring action in that direction so the toggle would just 'flop' rather than click, and lose the positive centre position. 

It may be that it can be used to give just  OFF and SLOW - depending on what connects to what in the two positions - and you can check that by doing a continuity test without needing to dismantle it. 

Thanks Rob

I've managed to get it working, the parking test worked out and cleaning up the switch looks to have given the switch a new life.

Also spruced up the washer switch and it now springs back!

Cheers

mark

Clear hooters switches are of very poor quality and BL had to go back to the original Lucas switch because of warranty claims. So if it is the switch i would fit a Lucas type. The mounting hole has to be made slightly larger to fit the Lucas type but it has much more positive clicks for on and off.

Bruce.

Thanks for this information and on reading the topic it has reminded me that the hooters switch I have always annoyed me the fact that the middle position would be better as part and then the upper position slow speed and the lower position fast speed. This would look so much better and wondered if anyone feels the same and/or is there a way of configuring the switch this way. I can get it to part in the mid position and slow in the top position but cannot get fast. Anyone any thoughts or good suggestion

Thanks 

Steve

I have a CP 72, 6 BTW 

1 hour ago, stevenphillips said:

is there a way of configuring the switch this way. Anyone any thoughts or good suggestion

The way the wiper motor is wired will not allow that just with this switch Steve.  However, you can do it by adding a SPDT relay and a couple of diodes like this.  

The relay normally-closed contact 87A provides the park function.  Switching to either fast or slow speeds operates the relay through the diodes (to prevent cross-feed). The slow speed is powered from the relay normally-open contact 87. This is necessary since the wiper motor self-park puts an earth on the R/G wire and to power it directly from the switch would give a short circuit.

wsw.jpg.3c529284d8a332b8df4aa79e2d513e44.jpg

Edited by RobH

Mark, mine also fell to bits In my TR5

I  changed every component to the superior TR6 set up. Had to change the clear hooters switch from three terminal one to the TR6 four terminal with 6.5 spade connections.

I bought the all black version direct from Bastuck and yes you have to remove or file out the metal backing plate. It is a very nice switch and new.

Regards Harry

p.s. see you in IWE

Edited by harrytr5