Vinyl Hood Cover

Hi All,

My black vinyl hood cover is in great condition, but it just looks a bit grey....

I have washed it with soap and water, tried some de-greaser kind of cleaner, looks better, but not solidly black.

Is Back to Black the stuff to use? I know it works on numbers and dash - but on vinyl?

Any other thoughts gratefully received!

Simoniz black wax is your friend. Boot polish tends to transfer.

Stuart.

Hi Rob,

Had a similar issue with my mohair cover. I used a black die that Autoglym do in an aerosol. The spray gave a good black finish on the cloth and plastic. I am not sure about durability on vinyl, but removing any silicon/wax would help.

The other product to try would be Autoglym rubber and vinyl care. Spray on and rub off with a microfibre cloth. This will cleans and protect the vinyl and improves the colour. Its although you have giver the vinyl a wax coat and seems to condition it.  Always used this on my TR7 dhc, kept the roof protected and made it last.

Autoglym is generally not bad and certainly better than back to black type products. It is not overly glossy and does not leave a residue that attracts dirt.

Hope this helps,

Peter.

40 minutes ago, Dan Middleton said:

I used Renovo to clean and waterproof my vinyl hood recently. Both products are designed for the job and worked a treat on mine. They also do a cleaner for the clear plasti-glass which I haven't tried yet.

I have used both products as described above and had good results from both. It is best to use a micro fiber cloth on the plastic glass, you will be surprised how much dirt comes off.

Bruce.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Apologies for not following up, I am normally better at that.

Well, being a bit tight fisted, when I delved into the box of cleaning stuff, I found some old back to black - thought, why not as I have it already. A big improvement, not spectacular thought but - "Good enough for Government Work"

So if you are after a great finish, Back to Black does not appear to be the answer, go with one of the previous posts!