TR4A door closures and locks

I have had my 4A for several years during which time it has had a major professional restore and upgrade (my mechanical knowledge is strictly back of a fag packet in detail)

Anyway last of the major problems  is with door closure and getting workable locks - seems to be a problem with modern Chinese replacements? Anyone come across a source of locks that fit properly and actually work!? The mechanism inside the doors is probably gone as well.

Best regards,

Tony.

Hi Tony,

the door locks do get a lot of wear due to the crashing and banging they suffer - and lack of lube.

Rather than look at all of the issues in one go can you identify a problem for the right lock and then the left lock.

The external door handle can have a number of issues and new spares are very very sparse.

The mechanism on the end plate of the door is no longer available. The best bet is to obtain decent second hand items off Ebay(Conrad). 

A number of issues can be sorted when one is desperate.

Give us a list of issues.

Roger 

Edited by RogerH

The doors can become more difficult to close over time if the slider, mounted on the B post is sticky or jammed.  In such cases, the owner uses ever greater force in order to shut the order, and that's not good!

This is from the Basic Maintenance document which Tony Sheach and I published as a centrefold pull-out in TR Action 273.

Door Locks
I have never seen mention in the Manuals of the door restraint
(anti-burst) mechanism on the doors fitted to TR4 & TR4A.
If the slider inside the casting mounted on the B Post is not
lubricated occasionally, but sparingly, it becomes increasingly
difficult to close the door. Ease a small screwdriver behind the
spring-loaded slider and squirt a lubricant, such as WD40, into
the gap. Then work the slider back and forth so that it slides
easily. Wipe away the inevitable over-spill on the B post!

Ian Cornish