E10 E5 and valvemaster lead replacement

Sorry a fuel question again, I have searched both the forum and the internet, probably me not 100% understanding this.

simple question... I currently put valvemaster replacement in standard e5 unleaded been doing it 10 years no problem....

now iwill have to revert to the higher octane shell fuel which is still E5 .. should i still continue adding the valvemaster also ?

The valvemaster is a replacement for the lead that used to be in fuel to protect the valves. The increase in ethanol content or the octane level of the fuel doesn`t alter that so I will continue putting in lead replacement additive,  I use Morris superclean Zero Lead as it is the only one my favoured car store stocks, £9 for 500ml which treats 150 litres or 3 fill ups.

I have heard that the ethanol causes hotter combustion in the engine, if that is the case there is even more reason to protect the exhaust valve seats.

Esso Supreme in some parts of the country is Ethanol free, despite having E5 marked on the pump (a legal requirement to state the Max amount of Ethanol in the fuel), I am unsure of the situation now that E10 has become the norm for ordinary unleaded fuel.

Others will no doubt be along with their views.

Ralph

I have not used it but just had a look at it and claims to be an all in one additive to protect against the effects of ethanol, boost octane level, and a lead replacement.

As our engines seem to run happily on 95 octane (unless tuned) the Octane booster is probably not needed, also quite expensive from what I have seen.

Millers products are usually good so I would imagine it does everything it says.

Ralph

5 hours ago, Willie said:

As you say, Ralph, expensive! My local suppliers charges £40 to treat 500 litres (1ml/ltr). I don’t want to spend that if it’s a waste of money!

Willie

I have seen it online today for less than that, about £32 for 500ml, still expensiive, but if it treats 500 litres (about 10 fill ups at 50 litres a time probably not much dearer than the Morris superclean lead additive I use at £9 for about 3 fills.

Have also seen it for £14 for 250 mls so even cheaper

Ralph

9 hours ago, Willie said:

Does anyone have an opinion on use of Millers VSPe Power Plus as an additive where no option but to fuel with E10?

Willie

I use this in my 3a and very hi revs (for a very mildly tweaked engine) in sprints and hill climbs and use the VSPe + multi shot bottle.

I do also use shell v power. 
have done since owning the car in 2016/17 

I would still use for E10

To all

regardless of any E fuel additive I would still ensure that all flexible ( rubber etc) fuel lines are replaced with E10 compatible variants.

the additive will then be there to try and help protect pump/carb/injector parts until those more complicated parts can be changed.

On 9/5/2021 at 9:28 AM, Ralph Whitaker said:

The valvemaster is a replacement for the lead that used to be in fuel to protect the valves. The increase in ethanol content or the octane level of the fuel doesn`t alter that so I will continue putting in lead replacement additive,  I use Morris superclean Zero Lead as it is the only one my favoured car store stocks, £9 for 500ml which treats 150 litres or 3 fill ups.

I have heard that the ethanol causes hotter combustion in the engine, if that is the case there is even more reason to protect the exhaust valve seats.

Esso Supreme in some parts of the country is Ethanol free, despite having E5 marked on the pump (a legal requirement to state the Max amount of Ethanol in the fuel), I am unsure of the situation now that E10 has become the norm for ordinary unleaded fuel.

Others will no doubt be along with their views.

Ralph

Correct. Esso Synergy Supreme has no ethanol except in Devon / Cornwall and parts of the north of England

This is a copy and paste of an E-Mail I received back in 2016 from Alan Ford of the Derbyshire Dales TR Group regarding Ethanol and Esso Petrol:

"Esso Synergy Supreme Plus unleaded petrol does not contain ethanol if bought from a service station in our region.

To elaborate further, not all Esso filling stations sell their premium unleaded., and not all Esso Synergy Supreme Plus unleaded petrol is free of ethanol - fuel purchased in Devon, Cornwall, Teeside and Scotland being a case in point. 

For anyone who has thoughts that all premium unleaded fuels from any of the major manufacturers does not contain ethanol, I can confirm that, at the very least, Shell and Texaco premium unleaded fuels does contain up to 5% ethanol. Tesco seems to be a mixed bag – some stations do, some don’t, and I am waiting for a reply from BP. In general some, but far from all, pumps in filling stations indicate the ethanol content of the petrol dispensed.

Furthermore, it is possible, but not as yet confirmed, that Total Unleaded (all grades) sold within our area does not contain ethanol!

Hopefully this email will have been sufficiently informative to allow you to make an informed decision. If there is sufficient interest, we will expand further on the availability of ethanol-free unleaded fuel within our area, and further afield. For anyone wishing to follow the forum thread, you will find it as follows:-

(Best fuel for PI System, TR5/TR250 Forum, started 15th July 2016). 

So, in conclusion, ‘you pays your money and you takes your choice’. We are not uptight about ethanol provided one's classic car has been suitably prepared. However, there is no doubt as to my intentions. At this point in time, my car will be refuelled exclusively with Esso Premium Unleaded in the run-up to its over-winter storage.

Regards,

Alan Ford" 

So I suspect the standard Esso Fuel will contain at least 5% Ethanol (Probably 10% now!)

Edited by Gary Flinn