Soft Top Install Question

Hi All

Apologies for probably asking a stupid question about the soft top but never having installed one before and having removed the non- working one from the car too many years ago to remember I just want to check a couple of things before I go attacking my new and very expensive Don Hoods mohair roof.

The rear retainer bar slips in the hood pocket and is then bolted to the deck, simples.

But all the instructions and videos on YouTube show it being glued in place. Given its bolted to the deck is that step absolutely needed?

Its obviously not going anywhere but would the lack on glue allow too much movement and premature tearing of the roof?

Just thinking about how good my glue spraying skills are for something that may not be 100% needed.

The other one is the snap fasteners on the outside of the top. Clearly the three on the soft top side “wings” clip to the body, but are the 5 below the window and 1 each side in the side panel just there to attached the tonneau in place?

If that is the case is it usual to leave them as bare studs or do people fit caps?

Can’t think of anything else at the moment but I’m sure I’ll be asking agains as things go wrong, lol.

Cheers    Keith

I would glue it to the rail though be careful dont use spray on use brush on and dont use too much. The fasteners are indeed for the tonneau and the hood stick covers and are always left bare.

Stuart.

Hi Keith,

stupid questions....don’t exist:)

Make sure the glue you use can withstand some temperature, not all do.

First check the bare hood frame is not twisted and moves easily. 

Waldi

On 5/7/2021 at 1:16 PM, Keith66 said:

...but are the 5 below the window and 1 each side in the side panel just there to attached the tonneau in place?

If that is the case is it usual to leave them as bare studs or do people fit caps...

Cheers    Keith

Your hood cover will also attach to these studs. You could cover them with some caps, but that would make it a pain to fit the cover each time.

I went with black studs so the don't show so much. 

Gareth