PC Strikes Again

Driving into Eastbourne yesterday I had time to read the first line of a prominent Yellow&Black notice.

It started        WARNING  ELM DISEASE

Apparently it was all about collecting and burning logs on the home fires.

Then I realised the bl**dy Dutch have got away with it. What happened to Dutch Elm Disease.

Have the PC brigade decided to forgive the Dutch for destroying out trees. What ever next.

I bet clogs aren't made of Elm

Roger

40 minutes ago, RogerH said:

I bet clogs aren't made of Elm

Roger

Au contraire, Roger, or rather Integendeel!    Alder is the traditional clog wood, but elm is best if the shoes are to be used in wet conditions.      If elm is kept wet, it is almost indestructable, being used for the sill of canal locks.

John

51 minutes ago, little jim said:

Roger the sign was made in Holland.

:lol::lol::lol:

31 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Au contraire, Roger, or rather Integendeel!    Alder is the traditional clog wood, but elm is best if the shoes are to be used in wet conditions.      If elm is kept wet, it is almost indestructable, being used for the sill of canal locks.

John

it just had to be !!!:wacko:

Roger (clogless but not clueless)

Hi Roger / John

Having a Dutch wife who still wears leather topped Klompen she told me years ago that traditionally Dutch ones are/were willow, yellow poplar, or tulip poplar due to their hardness.

I have several pairs of the coloured carved full wood ones (usually yellow with red pattern) hanging in the garden with plants growing from them.

Mark.

Clogs are my favoured garage shoe (klompen, like Marks' wife's) as you cannot tread on even the sharpest sliver of metal and be injured in them, and they slip off at the kitchen door.

There used to be a clog maker near me, who put steel toe caps on mine, not because I drop things but because they wear away their toes on my concrete floor.   He is no more, and my clogs are wearing out.     Anyone know a clog maker who can put steelies on them?

John

Edited by john.r.davies

John,

Wife gets them on return to Holland. Although having worn them several times in the past I wouldn't recommend the full wooden clog for everyday use (can be a loose fit or  uncomfortable unless they are made for you) hence hanging in garden, I am quoting now "The traditional all-wooden Dutch clogs have been officially accredited as safety shoes with the CE mark and can withstand almost any penetration including sharp objects and concentrated acids. They are actually safer than steel-capped protective shoes in some circumstances, as the wood cracks rather than dents in extreme accidents, allowing easy removal of the clog and not continued pressure on the toes by the (edge of the) steel nose.

Mark.

As a child in the 50's I was always amused by my mums Lancashire clogs

These had a wooden base with a leather top. The leather held in place by some nice round headed brass tacks.

They were ever so small as they were her shoes when she was a toddler.  She kept them through most of her life - a little keep sake.

Roger

I just realised that you wanted to know the following (esp the Lancastrians):

Albion, the earliest-known name for the island of Britain. ... The Greeks and Romans probably received the name from the Gauls or the Celts. The name Albion has been translated as “white land”; and the Romans explained it as referring to the chalk cliffs at Dover (Latin albus, “white”).