Over fuelling query

Hi, I’m seeing if someone has come across something similar.  Has anyone had a Bosch fuel pump that runs over pressure causing over fuelling to point of failure?

my TR6 has been running well up to about Jan (always rich though), then started having issues with being a little lumpy then struggling to idle.  Its now got to a point where you can start it without choke as long as you rev but it won’t idle.   Its running so rich, I did all the checks I could do then got it to a garage.  They’ve said it may be the metering unit, however the pump appears to be over pressure by a good 20% (it’s a Bosch from about 20+ years back)so it could be because of the pump, rimmerbros are recommending pump replacement with a Bosch type.  Has anyone had similar issues?

Are you sure the pump is overpressurising?

1) check the spill return from the MU to the tank is clear. It tends to get blocked at the 2 inch length of rubber tube behind the near side rear wheel.

2) disconnect the vacuum pipe at the throttle body. Suck on the pipe and stick your tongue over the end. It must hold vacuum

3) replace the PRV

The PRV should regulate pressure. Do you have the ability to measure the pressure of fuel the MU is getting, if not maybe a member of your local group does. You want to find that out before spending money on what might turn out to be the wrong part. 

Gareth

2 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

The PRV should regulate pressure. Do you have the ability to measure the pressure of fuel the MU is getting, if not maybe a member of your local group does. You want to find that out before spending money on what might turn out to be the wrong part. 

Gareth

Agree

the pump should be able to generate more than 100psi and it is the role of the PRV to regulate this.

If the pressure supplied to the mu is correct then most likely it’s an mu issue and a refurb is in order

one final point, is the fuel enrichment lever returning all the way when the ‘choke’ is in ?

steve