Spring leaf rebound clip broken

Hi all. When I assembled the damper lever in my 66 TR4A live axle (thanks for all the useful tips on how to remove what I now, thanks to you all, know is a tapered joint) I noticed that the rebound clip in the LH side spring leaf was broken (see picture).

This is most likely the fault of the shop were some time ago they repaired the leaf springs, which had sagged unevenly, and I have already got in touch with them. Having said that, it is a pain in a certain part of the body to drive to the workshop, which is some miles away from my home, specially in this season, where the roads are still with a lot of salt.

I was wondering if it is possible and safe to drive the car like that (there was certainly nothing wrong with the handling when I drove the car home from the workshop), if I should be in a hurry to get it repaired ASAP and /or if I can replace that with an after market bracket, which seems available for certain brands and looks easy to replace (the issue being to find one of the right dimensions), and then asking the workshop for a refund of the cost, rather than driving there.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Best regards and, above all, lots of health...

A2B8D320-E541-4828-9301-F197ACA760D7.jpeg

I don`t really see what purpose they serve other than to hold the spring together before it is fitted. I wouldn`t think the axle on a TR can drop far enough for them to act as a check. 

Ralph

I’m with Ralf. 
I think the clips are there mainly to keep the leaves in line- but if they are properly clamped to the axle it should be ok to take back to the spring people who did the work for them to fix. 

id email then a picture and say you’ll be popping by sometime. 

Tried to find the aftermarket clips in Europe but I have only found them in US shops and price does not make sense with shipping costs. I hope the spring shop can fix this in a couple of hours rather than having to leave the car there. A concern I have is that, if they have to disassemble the U clamps that link the axle to the spring leaf, the general advice is that the U clamps should not be re used, and getting spares here after Brexit is a PITA...

"the general advice is that the U clamps should not be re used"

New one on me, I've fitted and used 3 or 4 sets of leaf springs some of them after being reconditioned and always reused the U clamps. They are a low tech item, as long as they are not "necked" by overtightening and the threads are in good order I wouldn't hesitate to reuse.

Mick Richards

I’m sure Stuart on here has done a modification with his car regarding spring clips.  I think to uprate them. But a repair would be the same principle 

I tried searching but he is so prolific with helpful advice I couldn’t narrow it down. 

( forgive me Stuart if I have mis-remembered)

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

I’m sure Stuart on here has done a modification with his car regarding spring clips.  I think to uprate them. But a repair would be the same principle 

I tried searching but he is so prolific with helpful advice I couldn’t narrow it down. 

( forgive me Stuart if I have mis-remembered)

I do have extra clamps on the rear springs of my 4a (solid axle variant) but theyre a bit crude and are used to stiffen the springs .I would have thought the OP should get in touch with the shop that did the refurb on them originally and ask if they have any new clamps as if theyre in that business they must have clamps to suit. Maybe wait till the weather improves, I would have thought it`ll be safe enough to drive provided he`s not throwing it about too much.

Stuart.

1114640721_Rearaxle006.thumb.jpg.fe9b839d58188d12da1e1d76266352c2.jpg

Many thanks to all of you. I will do as advised. I may give a try to Stuart’s self made clamps as a temporary solution, for the fun of the project ...and it may not be surprising if the temporary solution becomes a permanent reinforcement...

Regarding U bolts, apologies for taking for granted that they had to be replaced. In many US pages, which, given their love for rigid axles, are a large source of articles for leaf springs, they said that, given the torque required to righten, the recommendation was to change them... maybe applicable to trucks, but not needed for our cars...

BTW, Stuart, are your clamps just press fitted, or have you some time of locating pin in the lower plate of the clamp and drilled the lower leaf in the spring to keep the clamp in place?. What is the effect if adding these clamps, do they stiffen the suspension, or are they just to make sure everything remains in place if you drive your car in a “spirited” mode?... that picture seems from a TR4A with rigid axle, similar to mine (well, your bump stop looks much better than mine, I admit).

On a different chord, I am intrigued as to why the link between the lever arm and the axle has a 1/2 nyloc nut on the bolt that links with the axle and a normal 7/16 nut with a spring washer on the tapered bolt that links to the damper lever.

26 minutes ago, Efuentes said:

Many thanks to all of you. I will do as advised. I may give a try to Stuart’s self made clamps as a temporary solution, for the fun of the project ...and it may not be surprising if the temporary solution becomes a permanent reinforcement...

Regarding U bolts, apologies for taking for granted that they had to be replaced. In many US pages, which, given their love for rigid axles, are a large source of articles for leaf springs, they said that, given the torque required to righten, the recommendation was to change them... maybe applicable to trucks, but not needed for our cars...

BTW, Stuart, are your clamps just press fitted, or have you some time of locating pin in the lower plate of the clamp and drilled the lower leaf in the spring to keep the clamp in place?. What is the effect if adding these clamps, do they stiffen the suspension, or are they just to make sure everything remains in place if you drive your car in a “spirited” mode?... that picture seems from a TR4A with rigid axle, similar to mine (well, your bump stop looks much better than mine, I admit).

On a different chord, I am intrigued as to why the link between the lever arm and the axle has a 1/2 nyloc nut on the bolt that links with the axle and a normal 7/16 nut with a spring washer on the tapered bolt that links to the damper lever.

Those clamps just fit round the spring, no locating pin so they are very tight else they will move, it took a lot of experimentation to get them in the right place to stiffen the spring up but not too much, there is two on each spring, I did try 4 originally but that was too stiff, The top and bottom plates need to be substantial or they will just bend. They were given to me a long time ago by an old school TR racer from down here. There is very little body roll as a consequence.

I have a nut and spring washer on both ends of my drop links.

Stuart.