What a difference 3 years makes.

2 hours ago, tthomson said:

You give us all hope!

To get that quality in a dusty garage is impressive.

TT

Thank you. I work on the principle of put plenty on, then you have something to go at flatting back and polishing.

Ralph

1 minute ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Thank you. I work on the principle of put plenty on, then you have something to go at flatting back and polishing.

Ralph

My excuse if I get a run "Just goes to show theres plenty on there!";):lol::ph34r:

Stuart.

• 1 month later...

Sun was shining today, and I took the TR out for the first tentative drive since the re build, did 26 miles. Pleased to say it goes very well, engine, gearbox, and overdrive all working perfectly (always a bit nail biting when you have had them all in bits). Rides well with no rattles apart from a vibration from under the bonnet, could be stay rattling. Diff is silent I am pleased to say because it was an unknown quantity. Only fault so far is fuel gauge reading low. I filled the tank and it is reading less than 3/4 on gauge, so some investigation to do there, and tick over is at 1500 rpm unless you put your toe under the throttle pedal on lift it when it drops to 1000rpm, otherwise I am happy. If the weather is kind tomorrow may get some more miles on it.

Ralph

Very necessary, had to drive to my favorite motoring store to pick up some more oil, the long way round. Forgot the unleaded additive so I guess I will have to go back again tomorrow :).

Ralph.

12 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Very necessary, had to drive to my favorite motoring store to pick up some more oil, the long way round. Forgot the unleaded additive so I guess I will have to go back again tomorrow :).

Ralph.

You mean you haven’t had the valve seats sorted? :)

7 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

You mean you haven’t had the valve seats sorted? :)

No. the head had all new valves and re-cut seats when I got it, and I was building the engine during the first lockdown so decided to use it as it was for now with a splash of additive each fill of fuel.

Been to the garden centre today in the TR for weed killer (for garden, not to replace lead additive), seem to have got lost on the way back, its only 6 miles away and somehow I managed to do 50 ;).

Ralph

Unless your going to be doing lots of motorway miles I wouldnt bother with additives, To lower your tickover try winding the tension up on the carb spindles, Item 74 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/fuel-system-induction-controls/carburettors-manifolds/carburettors-air-filters-h6-su-tr3-tr3a-tr4-1955-65.html

Stuart.

Stuart and Bob, Is there something I don`t know about the lead substitute additives ?, 

Ralph.

2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Stuart and Bob, Is there something I don`t know about the lead substitute additives ?, 

Ralph.

I find them plastered all over the plugs giving a sort of coppery finish and they are noticeable as a smell in the exhaust but most of all you dont need them unless your doing lots of fast miles so save your money.

Stuart.