Alun Spillman/Sidescren Suspension.

Good evening,

I’m new to this forum.

I’m currently restoring a 1957 Special. It is a tubular framed two seater with A TR3 high port engine, as well as TR3 suspension and drum brakes. Apparently the reason TR suspension was chosen, was the ease with which it could be converted to disc brakes. The car was intended for competition use initially on drums - because disc brakes cars were handicapped. I’d like to re build it with disc brakes, but with original,  rather than modern components. Question is: who should I talk to to help with sourcing the components? Happy to rebuild/ recondition as needed and build up a kit of parts from a variety of sources- but help with identifying possible sources would be very gratefully received.

Thanks very much in advance to the community.

Alun

Welcome Alun.

Mooch through this catalogue.  The TR 3 onwards disc brake set up is clearly illustrated.  The company website will give you availability  

cheers

Peter W

http://tr4a.weebly.com/uploads/2/1/9/8/21980360/catalogue_tr3_cover__perfo.pdf

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Alan.

There is a good chance I have most of the parts you would need - all in need of re-furb of course. Yours FOC if you want them, if interested I will venture into the garage & see what I have.  You would need to get new disks, hoses, pads, & caliper seals & pistons anyway, they are  available from many places - Moss, Rimmer Bros, TR shop etc.

Bob.

• John Morrison changed the title to Alun Spillman/Sidescren Suspension.

Many thanks for the very helpful replies. The catalogue link is particularly useful.

Here are a couple of pictures of the car.

Bob, thanks very much for the offer, I’m not far from you - in Alfold. I will contact you direct. 

Best wishes,

AlunF04F9F0F-B7BB-43C7-BC8E-3CF5C8595683.thumb.jpeg.5a4dfcc70e02b4c8239f375a99b7f41b.jpeg0FD73F73-A39A-484C-9019-1E2E32847847.thumb.jpeg.93d7d7643b53782e059cf09e81b99a0c.jpeg

Alun.C7F5730B-DE9B-4215-876E-621636F5555C.thumb.jpeg.91263bc8209f6b0ce827984ae74a4bec.jpeg

Edited by Alun Spillman

If you think you will be interested, I will sort some stuff out today, & photograph it.

By the way best not to put your email on here where all the world can see it. suggest you edit your post & remove it (I have made a note of it)  To edit your post click on the three dots top right, & select edit.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Welcome Alun.

That's a nice looking car, Austin Healey -ish if I might be so bold.

I'm not too far from you down in West Sussex, just South of Pulborough. When we're clear of this nightmare it would be good to see the car in the flash as it were.

Rod

PS - I suggest that you send Bob your email in a pm (personal message) rather than have it visible on a public forum. Edit - Bob beat me too it by a millisecond or two)

Edited by Rod1883