Help needed, carburetor suction

I need help identifing my TR3A not able to run after starting. I have new plugs with good spark, I have 118psi compression on cylinders, carburetors are clean and set.  Fuel bowls adjusted so fuel is visible near top of jet when looking down after removing piston. The car runs when starter fluid is applied but sputters, complains and quits when starter fluid is burned off. Plugs become sooty immediately. But plugs are not wet.

My only thought is that my cylinders do not create enough suction to venturi the gas from the jet to the manifold. So, is it possible to have semi-adequate compression without having adequate suction?  Is there a carburetor suction measurement method?

Anything else I should look for?

One more thing, the TR3A was running tip-top in the spring but got increasingly harder to start on my 6 week apart start regimen until now, with no success.

As for fuel, I took 5 gallons out of tank and ran it in my lawnmower and chain saw with good results.  Is that a good gas check?  Maybe I will go out today and buy new gas and fill the two carb bowls with it and see if it will run on that.

I'll keep trying and I will post back here with my progress.  If anyone has other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

Isaac

Wilmington, NC, USA

Is the choke opening fully?  It can become very stiff so you think it is open but it actually isn't.  The knob should come a full inch-and-a-half from the dash. 

I agree on the choke. When these things don't start that is usually the problem.

118 psi compression is a bit low. Mine run 170 psi or so. Stock cyl heads and pistons.

I hereby cancel this request for help but I appreciate the responses received.

I got the car running slightly tonight and am convinced I have ignition issues and not carb trouble.

Three plugs got wet this time.

Thanks.