TR6 76 engine question

US spec 76 engine. 

I want to convert to Triple carbs. 

I know I have to increase compression so do I just get my US spec head skimmed or do I buy a UK spec head? If so which one? And what Cam?

triple carb inlets, what head do I need to use to fit the after market runners that the carbs fit because  I think there is a difference in the port spacing. 

I appreciate I’m in for all the engine work but want to know what’s needed  to start buying and looking out for so I don’t buy the wrong parts and waste money. 

I don’t suppose there’s a walk through video on the net?

cheers. 

Jonathan 

Hi Jonathan,

Simply adding more carburation won't help, as you imply other engine modifications will be necessary to raise power. There's been a relevant discussion here quite recently and this thread may answer your questions:

When you mention triple carbs, which ones are you considering? Triple SU or Stromberg won't perform any better than a pair of the same carbs. Triple Webers are a different matter and different discussion!

Nigel

No reason you can't skim your head, i do quite a few US heads.

Obviously you need to check the volume of what you have as it may have been skimmed previously and you need to know condition of the valves, seats, guides etc Equally if it's oversize  bores that affects your CR calculation as does deck height etc.

It's a big skim though - likely around 3.5mm to come off so don't expect the cost to be the same as a little skim. Takes me a few hours to do the skim - not including any other work on the head.

You'll also likely need a set of shorter pushrods but they are pretty cheap

Personally I convert to EFI if not staying standard - if you diy efi the cost wouldn't be too different to triple webers and you have fully programmable fuel and spark.

IMG_20200215_110856771.jpg

IMG_20200216_130009154.jpg

IMG_20200217_133711773.jpg

IMG_20200217_133913039.jpg

I have a late US head 219019 with the wider port spacing.  The head is original thickness 3.560"

Can You PM me costs etc for a Skim down to 3.4" and Unleaded valve seat and guides replacement please. Do I need any other head work? - What I have taken off looks in really good condition

Going to put triple webbers on it with a megajolt ignition system i think.

Do you also do rebores?  

Cheers