21 minutes ago, Chris Seymour said:

I have a very annoying issue with my TR6. The bonnet keeps popping open as you drive down the road. It seems to close ok, and the bonnet latches were replaced with new parts when the previous owner restored it three years ago. Just can't work out what the issue is.........help needed!

Chris

Chris,

Loosen the nut and screw in the bolt in the middle of the upper safety catch spring to get a greater tension, then tighten the nut - do it gradually until you're happy with it.

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Make sure the bonnet is sitting flat and square on the body before you push it down to engage the spring loaded centre catch head. Don't use the catch to pull the bonnet square.

And make sure the cable adjustment allows the catch to fully close.

Just in case you haven't got round to it Chris before you start sorting it I'd suggest fitting an emergency bonnet release, last thing you want is a stuck bonnet.

Andy 

8 hours ago, PodOne said:

Just in case you haven't got round to it Chris before you start sorting it I'd suggest fitting an emergency bonnet release, last thing you want is a stuck bonnet.

Andy 

When it was restored, the company that did it fitted a thin rod under the dash that was added as a back up in case the cable snapped! Are they prone to snapping?

Chris

Chris, you can check that by slowly pulling the lever inside the cabin for the emergency realease down. There should be some play before the “lock plate” is opened. Probably a 2-person job.

Waldi

5 hours ago, Chris Seymour said:

When it was restored, the company that did it fitted a thin rod under the dash that was added as a back up in case the cable snapped! Are they prone to snapping?

Chris

No, but if the cable does fail you're in for a world of pain opening the bonnet by any  other means unless a secondary lock actuator is fitted- as your restorer has done.