TR4 Hood flap at top of window

I'm not sure how to describe this part of the hood bit it is the piece that goes inside the door window at the top. It has a piece of elastic that attaches with a press stud to the hood frame.

At the front it should have a sprung metal 'hook' that is riveted to the front edge of the hood 'flap' and this hooks over a retaining bracket attached to the inside of the windscreen frame.

In theory this will straighten out the flap to create a decent seal against the glass and stop it flapping or ballooning at speed. Mine doesn't have the hook and bracket arrangement and it looks as if it could be quite tricky to fit as you only get one chance to get it right because it involves making holes in the hood (for the rivet(s) and the vinyl cover inside the windscreen upright.

I'd like to know if anyone has advice on doing it and whether or not it is effective. I have heard of someone inserting a piece of rigid flat steel bar in the 'pocket' to hold it rigid but this would make putting the hood up and down even trickier than normal. Thoughts?

Andy

Andy 

My painters removed the metal hook arrangement , welded to the windscreen frame. They couldn't see any purpose for it so thoughtfully removed it for me ,  " to tidy things up ! ".

On reflection , I decided not to fabricate and weld in a replacement. I glued on a Velco strip that loops around the sun visor bracket. Easy to attach and detach when putting up the hood. I'm not sure how efficient the original set up was but someone else will no doubt make comment.

Bob

11 minutes ago, bob-menhennett said:

Andy 

My painters removed the metal hook arrangement , welded to the windscreen frame. They couldn't see any purpose for it so thoughtfully removed it for me ,  " to tidy things up ! ".

On reflection , I decided not to fabricate and weld in a replacement. I glued on a Velco strip that loops around the sun visor bracket. Easy to attach and detach when putting up the hood. I'm not sure how efficient the original set up was but someone else will no doubt make comment.

Bob

Thanks Bob

No sign of my brackets either. The new ones screw on with self tappers I presume

Andy

499398-Large.jpg

Edited by Ocheye
1 minute ago, stuart said:

TBH its probably better to rivet them on, Once fitted it should look like this.

Stuart.

RIMG0048.JPG

I did wonder about rivets. Do you find it very effective? BTW is that an original Surrey arrangement or Honeybourne? I am considering one of theirs

2 hours ago, Ocheye said:

I did wonder about rivets. Do you find it very effective? BTW is that an original Surrey arrangement or Honeybourne? I am considering one of theirs

Thats an original Surrey rear section, the soft section is a slightly different one to normal at the front but the side flaps are as per original.

Stuart.

13 minutes ago, stuart said:

Thats an original Surrey rear section, the soft section is a slightly different one to normal at the front but the side flaps are as per original.

Stuart.

It's a better fit than many I've seen

Andy

15 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Stuart sorry to be  a pain, any chance of a photo of you front top corner,

Plan a replacement this winter and I'm curious.

Cheers,

John.

Best I can do

Stuart.

RIMG0047.JPG