Injectors air issue

If you still have the CAV filter type housing, make sure you a genuine Land Rover filter, or a genuine Massey Ferguson filter, marked on the side, I have found the look alike filters not to flow enough fuel thru GFE 5296, it has cured my groaning pump.

John

19 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Neil,

Are you still using the original Lucas CAV filter system? If you are there is a bleed screw on the top of the zinc die casting to let out the trapped air which was in suspension in the petrol. If this screw is not opened up periodically you will get air in the injectors as it seems to be a collection point for trapped air in petrol.

Bruce.

I am still using the original CAV filter,  good point about the bleed screw as that would show if any air is present at the start of the fuel  system.

I had not realised there is a difference in flow capacity between different makes of filter. I have a PI Estate with a Bosch pump that starts cavitating and making a noise as the fuel level gets below half a tank.

It might just be the bore of the pipe drawing out of the tank, but my two fuel injected Stags don't suffer the same problem so a different filter is worth a try. I have experienced problems with petrol dissolving the rubber parts of the filter element in the past on diesel filters.

Neil

2 hours ago, Stagpowered said:

I am still using the original CAV filter,  good point about the bleed screw as that would show if any air is present at the start of the fuel  system.

I had not realised there is a difference in flow capacity between different makes of filter. I have a PI Estate with a Bosch pump that starts cavitating and making a noise as the fuel level gets below half a tank.

It might just be the bore of the pipe drawing out of the tank, but my two fuel injected Stags don't suffer the same problem so a different filter is worth a try. I have experienced problems with petrol dissolving the rubber parts of the filter element in the past on diesel filters.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Originally, there were 2 types of filter for the CAV filter assembly one for petrol and one for diesel. I am not certain that the petrol type is available anymore? Flow rate to the Bosch pump! The CAV filter assembly does not give the correct flow rate to a Bosch pump even with the correct filter? I have used a Bosch pump for 37 years and used a Bosch pre-filter or Mahle type with 12mm bore pipework from tank to pump. No problems with cavitation or harmonic hammering of the PRV. The Lucas 1/4" bore pipework is even too small for the Lucas pump! There was going to be a BL mod to increase the bore of this pipework but never implemented . 

Bruce.