TR4A, Getting the crankcase ventilation core plug out/fitting a vent pipe

This is what I did. Drilled the plug with a normal drill so not in centre. Made a puller.Took a a 5in, 5mm nail, cut the head off, bent about half an inch at right angles, threaded the other end with a die. Fitted the bent end through the plug hole, fitted a large socket over the boss and with a penny washer over the thread  just tightened the nut. plug came out so easy.

Gashed the boss hole a little with the drill but it is 1 3/8 ins deep. Made the vent pipe with copper and plastic. The hole is 28.4 mm so used 28 mm tube soldered on an elbow and vertical tube a few inches ending  with a 28/22 mm reducer. Then fitted  21.5 mm overflow plastic tube as easy to work with and make changes. Fitted an elbow just to direct the fumes. Fitted the vent tube in the hole with silicon sealant to take up the free movement. Fitted a holding bracket to the petrol pump stud. Read my next post for the reults

• 1 year later...

so, just picking up on this thread; I am trying to replace the crankcase breather core plug on my 4a. The body is off, as is the sump. I've tried the technique as described above but the surface of the core plug is obviously thin and just tears as I try to rotate/pull it out. The upshot is that it has moved further back in the block. Am I right i thinking that I can't press it out into the block? I've had a feel behind where the plug enters the inside of the crankcase and it appears to be obstructed by some part of the casting. any other bright ideas/lessons from experience?

Many thanks

David

Yes it has to come out the way it was put in as behind it is a gallery cast in the block smaller than the core plug. Somehow you need to collapse it and pul it out, leaving it in is also an option it cannot fall into the sump and with a hole it can act as a breathing/oil baffle.  Best of luck.

Paul

Small 1/4” chisel sharpened and using the block  vent outside dia to support the flat side of the chisel,  slice down the upturned dia flange. When you get to the dia section of the core plug the surface will start to ripple and buckle and it can be pulled out with long nose pliers or mole grips .

Mick Richards

With the sump out you can drill a hole in the plug, insert a nut in the said gallery from inside the block, then insert a bolt or a treaded hook in the hole of the plug, present the nut, bolt it and either pull it or screw it until it hit the bottom of the gallery and it will push the plug out gently. You have to find the way to lock the nut - if memory serve I did it with a screwdriver

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-08 at 01.32.00.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-08 at 01.32.01.jpeg

Edited by Geko