Nerdy detail Early TR2

Checking over my stock of "Baby" Tenax fasteners. By baby I mean the very small ones used on the very early cars. I have about 50 or so of the Female part which I have been trying to find a way of cleaning prior to plating.

Checking them over has revealed a strange thing I have two or more perhaps four that have a different type of base washer. One type( the bulk of them) has the typical profile with a ridge and the two key holes for tightening them on the material. The others look the same size but have a totally different much flatter profile, Were these used at a specific location so that the material sat closer to the body or are they possibly from a different car altogether. No good asking what they were taken off eg. hood stick frame cover tonneau cover as I have no idea as they were all lose.

What would the finish have been as modern chrome is very bright and not in keeping with a more Nickel plate colour i.e. a flat/duller finish chrome?

Best regards

Rod

10 hours ago, Rodbr said:

Checking over my stock of "Baby" Tenax fasteners. By baby I mean the very small ones used on the very early cars. I have about 50 or so of the Female part which I have been trying to find a way of cleaning prior to plating.

Checking them over has revealed a strange thing I have two or more perhaps four that have a different type of base washer. One type( the bulk of them) has the typical profile with a ridge and the two key holes for tightening them on the material. The others look the same size but have a totally different much flatter profile, Were these used at a specific location so that the material sat closer to the body or are they possibly from a different car altogether. No good asking what they were taken off eg. hood stick frame cover tonneau cover as I have no idea as they were all lose.

What would the finish have been as modern chrome is very bright and not in keeping with a more Nickel plate colour i.e. a flat/duller finish chrome?

Best regards

Rod

I think the Moss catalogue shows where they go. I have the same issue, or at least I will in a few months.

Other wise ask Jonathon Skinner at Skinners Upholstery.

Here's a pic with odd ones in foreground with "normal"Thinking that these might be for last ones on the nearest ends to sidescreens for Hood stick cover, hood and perhaps the tonneau cover.

Tips on how to remove tarnish anyone?

DSCF1016.JPG

Edited by Rodbr

I have got some of the ones with a corroded ring in the ultrasonic bath with some time expired brake fluid that will get to all moving parts to get rid of years of road salts .

Perhaps this might be where there single layers but hard to think of any?

How to get rid of tarnish after bath?

Thanks

Rod