Aircraft Riveter

I'm doing a bit of planning ahead (as I get older seem to do a lot more of this !) I'm going to have to do some plenum repairs and was thinking of 'flow forming' the repair panels. So as part of my advance planning been doing what I normally do .......watch a lot of Youtube videos. In some of the videos I've seen people are recommending using an Aircraft riveter rather than the cheaper air chisel. 

Price wise an air chisel is about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the aircraft riveter anybody had any experience of doing this and would an air chisel be up to the job ? I know I could just 'batter it' with a panel hammer but was thinking that using an 'air tool' with a nylon head I would get a better finish. 

If I understand you rightly you are after making a planishing machine, the basis of which is an air chisel and yes they do the job perfectly you just need the right dollies and then set the amount of stroke on the chisel.

Stuart.

I use a CP 4X air hammer as a rivet gun and drop the pressure if doing stuff that does not need that hard a whack....like soft aluminium 1/8" rivets.  The higher settings are fine for Monel rivets.

Nylon faced snaps are readily available as are soft faced brass or aluminium ones.

Be sure the shank of the snap is correct for the air hammer.  0.401" is common  ----but check! 

Cheers

Peter W