Time some of our suppliers started to use this sort of technology now that it is generally available to make more accurate copies of original parts. http://me3dprint.com/

Stuart.

Yes, the technology is getting there. ISTR three or more years ago there were some bits for Aston Martin restorations being made by 3D-printing with metal.

What TR parts might be a good candidate for 3-D printing?

Bomb starter nosepieces?

Early TR2 thermostat housings?

I'm not holding my breath. I get a trade journal about AM ( Additive Manufacturing - its original and real name ) with case studies involving really amazing and complex parts. Problem is, some of them require 2000+ hours to make a single part.

All in all, so-called 3D printing is a fantasy term indulged in by too many who know too little, for now at least. Jet engine mfg. and some other military ( read: spare no expense! ) components can make use of it. And someday perhaps the fantasy will come true.

Tom

I agree that 3D printing of metal directly is a stretch even for the aerospace guys. But... additive manufacturing may have applications in tooling as well as fabrication of the part itself. Isn't it well within scope of 3D-printing to be able to produce single-use casting forms or press tooling from a scanned digital file of an original prototype?

I agree that 3D printing of metal directly is a stretch even for the aerospace guys. But... additive manufacturing may have applications in tooling as well as fabrication of the part itself. Isn't it well within scope of 3D-printing to be able to produce single-use casting forms or press tooling from a scanned digital file of an original prototype?

Castings for steam engines are still cast using traditional methods but the use of laser measuring and 3D printing of patterns has reduced the cost significantly.

A few locomotives have now had replacement cylinder castings using this method which would have been prohibitively expensive in the past.

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme