Metering Unit noise

Hi,

Having spent hours stripping down a fully rebuilt engine to locate a tapping noise I am still none the wiser. The noise seems to resonate from the metering unit. I have pinned the drive gear and checked the clearance.

Has anyone experienced something similar and would the metering unit make such a noise?

Thanks,

Colin

I had one , MU, that is that rattled a bit, audible when bonnet opened, worked for ages like that then started leaking from the rear plastic cover. At the time I was told by those in the know that some 'just do that'.....

Hi Colin, oh dear I hope you've not stripped the whole engine down in search of the rattle....

Yes MUs do make a quiet rattle/tap in operation, as others have said it's the shuttle zipping back and forth dispensing fuel to each injector.

Quite normal in my experience.

Cheers J.

Hi James.

Yes, bottom end strip down to find nothing. Valve clearance checked 4 times now. Car runs really well and only going up to 3000 rpm as newly rebuilt. Out again yesterday and I am convinced it is from the MU area. I am going to swap the MU over today and see what happens.

Colin

Hi Colin, no probs and sorry you've hunting this rattle about. I'm sure different MUs will be noisier than others. Mine is quiet but there if you listen for it. Obviously all this is subjective. Best way I can think to describe it is if you have engine idling and stand at the drivers (manifolds) side I can't hear anything from the MU. If I walk around to the passenger side, then you can hear the quiet rattle in the background. Of course if you lean down close the the MU, you can hear it clearly.

Hope that gives some anecdotal guidance.

If you have concerns do speak to Neil Ferguson, as mentioned above. A very knowledgeable and helpful person.

Cheers, J.