Speedo stopped working

Hi all , took the car out and noticed the speedo wasn't working ,I took off the speedo cable and it wasn't turning ,I pulled the cable from the j type gearbox and the cable was all chewed up, (no angle drive fitted )

I put in another cable but it's not working ,is there anything I can check or do .

Regards

Nick

You need to find out why the cable got chewed. Test the speedo by inserting something into its square hole (small screwdriver etc) and see if it spins easily (anticlockwise) if it does, & the speedo needle gives a flick upwards then speedo is probably OK, next thing to check is the cable inner & outer.

Bob.

Hi all I pulled the pinion and the cable end had broken off and I can not get it out ,I phoned Helen and Ray and they said they have a few over drives with the pinions in place, I went there and some are white blue and red,mine was blue with 18 teeth ,the white has 17 and the red 19 ,how do you know which one is for a j type gearbox in a tr6 as any one would fit.

Kind regards

Nick

Nick,

Sorry I can't help with your problem but I am hoping you may be able to help me with mine. I have a J type box fitted to my TR4a and I have fitted the speedo cable without the angle drive. What route does your cable take from there? There seems to be a couple of options but I'm not sure which will be best.

Thanks,

Barry

Hi Barry I used the LHD cable which is 69 inches long, out of the speedo into the bulkhead, there is a hole just under the carbs which I put the speedo through, I put two p clips along the inner edge of the floor pan where the gearbox cover fits on top, then put it under the gearbox mount up into the gearbox.

Nick