Forum software update now live Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Jomac

Oil filter size?

The oil filter on my car is a spin on Fram PH 4883 which is about 6" long. I have renewed with the same Fram filter type during my ownership as one was fitted when I purchased the car 4 years ago. At the time of purchase, in with all the bits and pieces, there was a Fram PH 2964 which is about 3" long. My question is, in what circumstances would you fit a 6" filter or a 3" filter?

Peter

Edited by Jomac

Six inches is always better than 3, I'd say!

I can't think of a reason to fit a shorter filter, other than perhaps if space is limited. More knowledgeable people than me will be able to give a definite answer I'm sure.

Darren

The 6" was 'in the way' when I had to change the clutch slave cylinder - but it was possible

Peter

I assume this is a spin-on canister type, not the original disposable element

If you want a shorter filter, try Unipart GFE180. There are probably plenty of alternatives from other manufacturers but I don't have the cross references. With a shorter filter, naturally there's less filtration area inside, so regular filter changes are even more important.

Nigel

I would have thought any bloke would have opted for a six inch one over a three inch, every time..... :D

I have the oil cooler version(should be same)

Fram ph2895

Knecht OC47

Bosch p3101

Mann W723/3

But to be honest I started out looking for a filter to fit a Porsche 924 that should be all you need.

I use the long but have it mounted at 45* so its not too long and still doesnt drain (albeit these filters have not return valve)

T

Edited by Rem18

Well talking about this.

I am just doing an oil change and trying to lean under car I am again having trouble removing the spin on due to absolutely no space to fit a ring or chain type remover as its between sump and chassis (I also have the oil cooler adapter). Does anyone know of like a cup shaped one with a hex nut on the end where you could protrude it a bit?

25 years of always having this problem is making me a bit fed up...

There is a lot spoken about filter sizes.

The original factory oil cooler kit used a replaceable oil filter element (GFE138) that was almost half the depth of an original. (GFE131) It came from GT6 I think, where the filter would have clouted the chassis if any deeper.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/engine/oil-system/oil-cooler-original-tr5-6.html

Now, what would Triumph have known about filter size for their own engines?

Peter W

PS If any one is interested I think I still have a NOS 151870 adaptor for the filter bolt and a NOS 214372 13 row aluminium oil radiator somewhere.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT