Jaeger Instrument parts

Finally got around to looking at my oddometer which hasn't worked since I got my car. Using the Anthony Rhodes guide found on here, I've quickly and easily located and removed the broken part - a small plastic 20 tooth gear (it's missing two teeth!), but now I'm having trouble finding a replacement part.

Speedy cables and speedograph richfield won't sell spares, despite my best attempts at persuading them. they'll only exchange or provide full service ranging from £45 - £70. JDO will do an *exchange* gear for £10

Anyone know of any other suppliers or where I can get parts?

Many thanks

Neil

When the main mileage counter failed in my TR3A in 2001. It happened in Kansas on my way home from the VTR National Meet in Colorado. The trip odometer and the speed needle were still working. Like you I took it apart when I got home and found the same problem. Two teeth missing on the small fiber gear. I couldn't find anyone who would sell me a new one. I had to send it to Nysonger near New York City for full repair and re-calibration. It cost me the equivalent of £50.

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada

Neil,

Just a few weeks ago I found a guy overhere in The Netherelands who restored both large TR instruments for me. His name is Henk Willems and lives in Venray. That's the south part of the Netherlands, just between Belgium and Germany. I know that the he has lots of stuff for these instruments lying around. So, maybe he can help you out. I also know that he refuses to send complete and restored instruments by mail (valuable, breakable etc.)

I your case I think that it's just a small part you're looking for, so sending it by mail shall be no problem for him, I suppose.

You can contact him via www.willemsclassiccars.nl. There's a phone number on his website. (Country number for Holland is ++31) An email with a pic of the part will also help, I think. I suppose that he can (and will) speak English. If not, than perhaps I can help you getting in touch with Henk Willems

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij

Neil,

I too had a similar problem when I discovered that I needed a part for my speedo. Seedy cables were in fact downright rude, taking the view that it was impossible for an amateur to repair a speedometer. I then found JDO who were more than helpful with their advice and service.

Dave

I've quickly and easily located and removed the broken part - a small plastic 20 tooth gear (it's missing two teeth!), but now I'm having trouble finding a replacement part.

Neil

Sounds like a bit out of a model remote control car?

Is it nylon?

Try your local radio control model shop - they may have something you can use!

Unc ;)

many thanks for the replies

Menno, I contacted Willems classics and got a very helpful reply from Patrick Willems. However, the gear is in limited supply and they need theirs for full servicing of instruments. Patrick was helpful in letting me know about possible causes once I get it sorted. he also said the plastic gear doesn't come off the little shaft (I would have thought it would have to, but maybe not)

Unc, I went to the local model shop today and they gave me a couple gears that are about the right size with 20 teeth, that could possibly be adapted, but as the gear doesn't seem to come off the shaft I didn't feel confident enough to force it and possibly make things worse.

The guy in the model shop was helpful and said he's repaired bakerlite gears like these before by building up layers of araldite and filing it to the same profile. As tempting as it is to have a go, I have sent it off to JDO for a £10 exchange.

Dave, I am sure it was seedy cables who refused to supply the part at first, but once I got them talking he asked what part I was after .... 'Ahh he said' thats probably why it is not working, it shouldn't cost more than the £70 standard repair charge'. whats the saying about wounds and salt?

Probable cause apparently is too much grease. Over time this collects dirt, this adds friction to the shaft resulting in it seizing, followed by broken teeth. Its important that all the grease on the mechanisms is removed and clean grease reapplied.

I didn't find my missing teeth in the case when I opened it, so i guess the bits are in the grease somewhere!

N

Neil,

I believe that the Jager and Smiths internals are the same. To repair one of my speedos which had a broken odometer drive gear I bought an old mini speedo for a few euros off of ebay then used the odometer drive gear from that. I have only tested it on a drill but it turns over ok. Did the speedo repairer recommend a correct grease for the speedo's ? I could not find any fine graphite grease ( only a guess on my part) so I rebuilt my speedo dry, it turns a lot easier than it did before I cleaned it but if it needs grease I would like to apply it before putting it in a car

Cheers

Alan

No he didn't say what type of grease, just don't use too much as it attracts dirt particles. I hadn't thought about what type of grease, I'm planing just to use LM grease. I'll let you know if I end up rebuilding the speedo again soon!