Still Alive?

Petrol has never been cheaper than it is now.

In 1967 when I was at college my allowance was £4/week and I drank beer, smoked and ran an Anglia 100E. Beer in my local was 1s 8d in the pubic and 1s 10d in the "saloon". So average 1s 9d = approx. 9p. Beer is minimum of £3.50 now so gone up 38 times.

Fags were 4/6 for 20 Rothmans = 22.5p Now. £9.00??? up 40 times.

Let's be generous and say inflation is x 35

I remember a gallon of 3 star was 4/6. Do the maths, that is 5p/litre 5 x 35 = £1.75. That is what petrol should be now, so it is cheap. Get those TR's rolling before the government realise they are undercharging us petrol heads.

Simon

Petrol has never been cheaper than it is now.

In 1967 when I was at college my allowance was £4/week and I drank beer, smoked and ran an Anglia 100E. Beer in my local was 1s 8d in the pubic and 1s 10d in the "saloon". So average 1s 9d = approx. 9p. Beer is minimum of £3.50 now so gone up 38 times.

Fags were 4/6 for 20 Rothmans = 22.5p Now. £9.00??? up 40 times.

Let's be generous and say inflation is x 35

I remember a gallon of 3 star was 4/6. Do the maths, that is 5p/litre 5 x 35 = £1.75. That is what petrol should be now, so it is cheap. Get those TR's rolling before the government realise they are undercharging us petrol heads.

Simon

Your calculation doesn't take into account that tax rates have changed as well as inflation Simon, so the instances you quote are a bit too high.

In terms of pure inflation one source (link below) says that 4/6d in 1967 is equal to about £3.40 today. That makes the petrol equivalent to around 76p per litre so rather less than todays price.

https://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculator_inflation2.html?

Point taken. Just using average weekly wage: 1967 £20/week 2018 £512/week = x 25.6. Petrol 5p x 25.6 = £1.28. Close so petrol not more expensive now,

All I know is that in 1967 my income was about £500 pa. I had a flat on the seafront in Brighton and would drive to London with girls to London on a Saturday night.

I'd park where the London eye is now for 6d, buy a meal and see a show.

Car insurance was £12 and road tax £17.