Brake Calipers/pipe connectors

Morning all,

My project is a 1974 TR6, so I made the assumption that I had Metric brake calipers and bought the metric pipe set from Automec a few weeks ago in the Rimmers sale.

Last week I dug the calipers out of the loft to refurbish, and now I think they may not have the correct pipe set, so Id be grateful if someone could help me confirm.

The calipers are type 16PB so have the later type pistons and dust shield, but I have read somewhere that Metric calipers are numbered M16P. The main potential issue is the connectors for the brake pipes. The pic below shows the connector that has come out of the caliper next to the connector in the Automec set. The threaded part is much longer than the original and whilst they seem to thread in fine, when fully seated in the caliper there is still quite a lot of thread exposed which doesn't seem right and seems as if it will not tighten up enough?

Have I bought the wrong set?

Many thanks in advance,

Sean

post-12473-0-85371800-1518515070_thumb.jpg

Probably not Sean. I have used various different Automec piping both for brakes and fuel and so long as the threads match ,and you say they do, the only other thing would be that the flared end is abutting correctly. If when you tighten the pipe is unable to move all should be OK. The possible reason for the shorter thread on the original is a cost saving one by ST/ BL who would have wanted the cheapest option they could get. If you have any other doubts give Automec a call, I'm sure they will be able to help.

Thanks Clive,

I am now fairly certain that I have metric calipers. Apparently the tell tale signs are, larger mounting bolts which are shouldered, smaller sized holes for the pad holding pins, and a shallower female threaded hole for the connecting pipe. I have the latter two. Still trying to locate the original mounting bolts to confirm if they are shouldered, but I'm pretty sure they will be.

I spoke with Nikki at Automec and I have confirmed that the connectors that I have are metric. Nikki confirmed that all of their TR6 metric caliper sets are sent out with a 20mm long male threaded connectors, however the threaded hole in my calipers is only 12mm deep so there is quite a lot of thread sticking out. They seem to think that this is normal but it looks odd.The previous connector was 15mm. The pic below shows it tightened to hand tightness only, but gives a good idea of the excess.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

Anyway I have asked them to make me a new set with 15mm connectors (which she thought was a highly unusual request btw) and hopefully these will look better. At least I will have another option.

Kind regards,

Sean

post-12473-0-16753800-1518557791_thumb.jpg

I believe some 16PB calipers had metric threads. The extra thread sticking out would not bother me , but my car is by no means a show car. What would make the car unroadworthy in Australia would be the copper brake pipes(work harden on rough roads ) -but these are acceptable in the UK.